Tech Assistant in Setting MX60 for generator

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Tech Assistant in Setting MX60 for generator

Postby ksegarra on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I purchased a Honda EU1000i Generator that is a 1000w, with apparently a max of 45amp so it overloads immediately with my MX60. Does anyone know if I can reset the main charger screen and decrease the max amps from 60 to 45 while I am using the generator and this would work/be safe for the system.

Just need it for a few cloudy days in New Mexico. Thanks, Kirstie
ksegarra

My RE system: Outback Flexmax 60, 6 batteries, 6 Kyocera 120 panels

Re: Tech Assistant in Setting MX60 for generator

Postby Vic on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi ksegarra, Welcome to the Forum,

SO, the MX-60 is a solar Charge Controller, and accepts input, primarily, from PV modules.

Customarily, in Outback systems, the generator is connected into the AC In terminals of the Inverter-Charger -- ususlly a VFX or FX inverter, for off-grid systems.

An EU1000 is a very small generator, which will supply about 700 watts, depending on things like Altitude and temperature, etc. The maximum 120 VAC current this generator can supply is about 5 -6 Amps.

If you have a Mate that matches your OB inverter, you should be able to set the current that the inverter uses from the generator. These current values are usually based on the nominal voltage of the Inverter, and not the current at 120 VAC.

As an example, if you have an inverter that uses a 12 volt nominal battery voltage, the current that you might set for the battery charge function would not more that 10 times the 5-ish current output rating of the generator (at 120 VAC).

AND, with a genset this small, you would really want to have NO AC loads on the output of the inverter, as these currents would need to be supplied by the genset.

What is the model number of the Outback Inverter that you are using?
Where is the 120 VAC output of the genset connected? NOT into the MX-60 Charge Controller, we hope!

More Later, Thanks for the answers, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
OutBack Czar

Postby ksegarra on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will have to wait for the company who installed everything to get back to me. They were supposed to set it up for charge with a generator as well, but honestly this system is still new to me. It looks like the switch is labelled at 60 AMP for the Generator. It was overloading the generator when I tried to run it. I know it is a small generator but I hardly need a boost. So I was hoping I could get a way with it.

I had the old trace inverter system for 14 years. I've had this system for under 2 years and I am just getting to know it better.

Attaching a picture.
Attachments
IMG_1276.JPG
ksegarra

Postby klundquist on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Kirstie,

Do you have a Mate or Mate3 system display/controller? I didn't see one in the picture. The Mate allows you to tell the inverter to reduce the amount of power that it takes from the generator. You need to reduce the AC Input Amps setting.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby ksegarra on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:21 am

My technician came by this AM. They installed it without the Mate, he adjusted the AMP for 6 for the smaller Honda Generator with a "service Mate". Now it works perfect. I was left hanging a few days because all the guys were out skiing. :smile:

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully this thread can help someone else in a similar situation.

Kirstie
ksegarra

Postby TZBVI on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am

We were affected by hurricane Irma in the British Virgin Islands. My solar/inverter system survived, thankfully, however I've been using my generator to run my refrigerator in the morning and evening to keep from flatting the batteries, especially during cloudy weather. There is no grid power, we've shut off the main breaker from the grid to our house so we are essentially off-grid for now. Estimates are that grid power is still a few months away, so we want to make the most of our generator power when we use it. We have a small Honda EU2000i that we believe will work more efficiently charging the batteries in or system rather than running the refrigerator directly. From looking at the previous posts in this thread I understand the generator needs to be connected to the AC in terminals on the inverter, then use the Mate to match the output of the generator (about 13 amps) to limit the power the inverter pulls from the generator. Our system was installed in 2007 and has the following components:

12x Kyocera solar panels (I think they are KC125TM, but not sure)
2 x Outback GVFX 3524 inverters - stacked
MX-60 controller
Mate
8 x Rolls S-550 batteries (new in December 2016)

Our question is do we have the above information correct for connecting the generator to the inverter? If so we can we use a heavy gauge extension cord as the input from the load bar to the generator so we simply plug it into the generator's NEMA 5-15 receptacle (for convenient placement of the generator we need a cord about 20' long)? Does it make sense that the generator would be more efficiently used charging the batteries rather than simply running the fridge (and sometimes washing machine/lights, etc.) directly? Anything else we should consider? Thanks in advance.
TZBVI

My RE system: 12x Kyocera solar panels
2 x Outback GVFX 3524 inverters - stacked
MX-60 controller
8 x Rolls S-550 batteries

Return to MX60 Charge Controller