suitable charger for pedal power

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

suitable charger for pedal power

Postby TheIslandLastResort on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 pm

HI guys

working on a project for our island bar restaurant where guests could pedal to produce power and actually charge the battery bank through this, to earn free drinks, etc.

everything I can find online doesn't really apply to actually using the power to charge batteries in practice, some talk about it, most show a light bulb being charged..

I know that people cannot make much compared to our 14,000 watt solar array, but its hopefully something fun..

some videos talk about using solar charge controllers... but I always see these controllers saying not suitable for wind generator power etc.. so wondering if they can effetively manage pedal power production?

ideas on how to go about this?

i was thinking just to get a 48v 1000w motor and a bicycle, set them up with a small data dispaly and wire to the batteries..

anyone able to help me?
TheIslandLastResort

My RE system: 10,000 watts of solar on the roof
4 flexmax60 charge controllers
4 outback inverters
other stuff
lots of big batteries that might not work right

Re: suitable charger for pedal power

Postby larrywa on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:23 pm

TheIslandLastResort wrote:HI guys

working on a project for our island bar restaurant where guests could pedal to produce power and actually charge the battery bank through this, to earn free drinks, etc.

everything I can find online doesn't really apply to actually using the power to charge batteries in practice, some talk about it, most show a light bulb being charged..

I know that people cannot make much compared to our 14,000 watt solar array, but its hopefully something fun..

some videos talk about using solar charge controllers... but I always see these controllers saying not suitable for wind generator power etc.. so wondering if they can effetively manage pedal power production?

ideas on how to go about this?

i was thinking just to get a 48v 1000w motor and a bicycle, set them up with a small data dispaly and wire to the batteries..

anyone able to help me?

I read years ago that a trained bicyclist can produce up to about 1/2 hp. With inefficiencies my guess would be that a person could produce about 1/4 hp or about 200 watts.

Some circuitry would be required to allow user to set load on their pedals or perhaps a Derailer gear change mechanism could allow changes in resistance by speeding up the generator ratio to pedals.

Obviously rewards would need to be visible as a challenge to "competitors". The free drink may work but users may need a cumulative register, with account and password, to pedal for a few nights to get that free drink on the third or fourth depending on physical prowess and energy.

Large screens could be set up to display progress and "winners" or top producers.

A PC that could control multiple MPPT circuits for each pedal should work. This would be totally custom and probably expensive to get software and hardware created.

Another idea would be to approach some eBike companies as some use regenerative braking to charge the batteries and maybe some of the design may be already done.
larrywa
OutBack Guru

My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Re: suitable charger for pedal power

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:20 am

lots of big batteries that might not work right
Why ?

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to MX60 Charge Controller