no power

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

no power

Postby RKROEKER on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:58 am

Trying to figure out if my MX60 has failed. I have good wattage and amps from panels, controller shows MPPT amps are good to batteries but voltage to batteries is usually around 26 on a 24 volt system. I'm not getting fully charged on sunny days, water level in batteries stays good don't have to add any. Absorb and float set points are good and looking at history I never reach float status. Not sure how long this problem has been there, old batteries went south last winter and I have had this problem since new batteries installed. Controller is 10 years old, possible it just is dead, also can't seem to get it to equalize, voltage just won't come up to cook the batteries.

The for any help.
Robert.
RKROEKER

Re: no power

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:54 am

What panels & batteries do you have ? do you have a hydrometer ? what numbers are the MX showing ?
But a rough guess, too much battery, not enough charge current,

Tim

PS Please fill in your profile as fully as possible, It helps us to help you a lot more :-)
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby sodamo on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:54 am

I'd double check all the wiring connections for clean and tight.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Totally off grid
36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
4 FX3048T
RTS
4 FM 80 charge controllers
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
21 Aquion Aspen 48S (46.2 kw)
24Kw Yangdong Genset (Affordable Generators - Poor support)
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sodamo/

Postby larrywa on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:50 pm

RKROEKER wrote:Trying to figure out if my MX60 has failed. I have good wattage and amps from panels, controller shows MPPT amps are good to batteries but voltage to batteries is usually around 26 on a 24 volt system. I'm not getting fully charged on sunny days, water level in batteries stays good don't have to add any. Absorb and float set points are good and looking at history I never reach float status. Not sure how long this problem has been there, old batteries went south last winter and I have had this problem since new batteries installed. Controller is 10 years old, possible it just is dead, also can't seem to get it to equalize, voltage just won't come up to cook the batteries.

The for any help.
Robert.

If you have power from the panels where is it going? What is drawing it. Power is drawn by loads and it doesn't just evaporate.
larrywa
OutBack Guru

My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Postby klundquist on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:08 am

I agree with Tim... this sounds like a case of too much battery and not enough PV. It is like filling a leaky tub using only a turkey baster. Post your battery amp hour capacity and setup along with the PV size/setup for a quick sanity check.

If you have power from the panels where is it going? What is drawing it. Power is drawn by loads and it doesn't just evaporate.

Larrywa: You are partially correct however consider that heat/inefficiency is pretty much the same as power evaporating. If this system has loose connections, battery problems, or a ground fault then it is possible that power is being wasted/evaporating. But as you point out, it is very important to consider the loads that are running while the system is trying to charge the batteries.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby larrywa on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:03 pm

klundquist wrote:...

Larrywa: You are partially correct however consider that heat/inefficiency is pretty much the same as power evaporating. If this system has loose connections, battery problems, or a ground fault then it is possible that power is being wasted/evaporating. But as you point out, it is very important to consider the loads that are running while the system is trying to charge the batteries.

-Kurt

Yeah, rereading the OP I have to agree with you. His equipment was never stated to properly evaluate the complaint. His PV is too small for his system draw, most likely during non-PV hours.

Loose connections are not likely or he wouldn't be impressed with his power generation. Power doesn't evaporate without a lot of heat and his system worked well before his battery change. More information s needed about his system and what transpired with the battery change/upgrade. Anything is possible though.

What the OP indicates does NOT indicate his MX80 has failed though. The symptoms are contrary.
larrywa
OutBack Guru

My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Return to MX60 Charge Controller