MX60 wiring

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

MX60 wiring

Postby j. david cox on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 am

Sorry, guys...posted this in the MX60 section a few days ago and no one rose to the bait so, figuring it might be 'off', I went up a step to the off-grid group.The post question was:

I have two PV circuits feeding the MX60 CC. The exact same. Used to have only one but I just went out and duplicated it. So, I now have another string of panels coming into the 'box' and feeding a second breaker - just like the first one. The first, older string, had a positive power lead coming in the bottom of the breaker and a smaller lead going to the digital display in the CC. Given that the second string is feeding the same power bar, then it seemed to me that wiring in a 'pigtail' from the top of the second breaker to the top of the first breaker (which has that lead to the CC) would simply 'pass on' the 'additional second string information to the CC. Then I wondered if it had to be separate? Or at all? Now I just wonder. Can I get the second string to report by pigtailing or do I need to run a separate lead somewhere?
Just a thought.....Maybe I figured it out....the two breakers are on the same power bar - and the 'pick-up' for the information is going through the number one breaker but it is connected to the two and so that pickup should read all that needs reading. Maybe NO pigtail necessary....?

My system: 14 PV panels, 8 x 12 v and 6 x 24v. For a total of 2100 watts. OUTBACK MX60 and fan-version of the OUTBACK 48 volt inverter. 12 8D (12v) batteries for 660 ah. three gensets, Honda Eu2000, Honda EM 5000 and an old greasy beast of an Isuzu (15kw).
j. david cox

My RE system: 14 PV panels, 8 x 12 v and 6 x 24v. 2100 watts. OUTBACK MX60 and fan-version of the OUTBACK 48 volt inverter. 12 8D (12v) batteries for 660 ah. three gensets, Honda Eu2000, Honda EM 5000 and an old greasy beast of an Isuzu (15kw).

Re: MX60 wiring

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 am

then it seemed to me that wiring in a 'pigtail' from the top of the second breaker to the top of the first breaker (which has that lead to the CC) would simply 'pass on' the 'additional second string information to the CC. Then I wondered if it had to be separate? Or at all? Now I just wonder. Can I get the second string to report by pigtailing or do I need to run a separate lead somewhere?

Got me puzzled here :oops: What information ? The only "thing" that go's through the breakers is the battery charge voltage/current ? no data, maybe a pic may help, The other connections on the MX are to the Hub/Mate for remote display and the battery temp sensor if you MX is stand alone, Not required if you are using Hub with temp sensor on whatever is plugged into port 1,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby j. david cox on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 pm

No...it it is the voltage sensor....I was talking about. And it seems to me that the voltage sensor will work for both breakers. Right?
j. david cox

My RE system: 14 PV panels, 8 x 12 v and 6 x 24v. 2100 watts. OUTBACK MX60 and fan-version of the OUTBACK 48 volt inverter. 12 8D (12v) batteries for 660 ah. three gensets, Honda Eu2000, Honda EM 5000 and an old greasy beast of an Isuzu (15kw).

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:52 am

I think I have it now :-) you already have one string running through one breaker to MX, You want to add another parallel string, Yes you can do that but check if the wire size you are paralleling onto has the capacity to handle it (About 45amps)
The other thing to look at is panel matching, For a 48v system you are looking for a VMP of between 75 to 90v per string, Both strings matched as close as you can,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to MX60 Charge Controller