Two MX60s

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Two MX60s

Postby pault on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:22 am

I have 2 MX60's each connected to it's own array. The voltage readings are slightly offset, for example one reaches float while the other is in absorb. The float MX60 goes to silent while the other is trying to complete absorb, but with only one array producing power that may not happen. Adjusting the reading by 0.1 volt just moves the problem. Suggestions? Thanks, Paul
pault

My RE system: Currently 2 arrays, 1400W and 1440 watt, each with an MX60. VFX3524 inverter and 12 Trojan L16RE-B 6V batteries.

Re: Two MX60s

Postby Vic on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Paul,

I know of no way to allow the MXes to communicate and coordinate Charge stages. Have always just tried to adjust voltage settings. Even forget if the MX-60 has a voltage calibration, but still, it is probably in 0.1 v increments.

Had wondered about allowing one MX to have a somewhat larger array, and make it the "leader", and would be set at a slightly higher Absorb voltage, and thus remain in Absorb later, with more power available to finish Absorb.

This might not work in your situation, as your arrays seem to have slightly differing powers, and therefore the PVs might not be compatible, if a string or two ... or .... be removed from one CC and added to the other.

The behavior of tricks like the above are not always predictable, and perhaps I am just NUTS !

Glanced at some of your previous posts. Hope that you have found an acceptable Clamp-On DC Ammeter. Here, use an inexpensive Radio Shack one, and others sometimes recommend the Sears one. These are both $ 55 - 70. Just a raondom drive-by thought. Good Luck, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
OutBack Czar

Postby blackswan555 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:50 am

do you have temp sensing on all charge sources ? When the MX goes into float, is the other one still pulling max amps ?

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Offgrid on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 am

I have 2 MX-60s (soon to be 3) in my current system and when either of the controllers goes to float, the other one does too. My MX's are connected to a hub and a Mate and as I recall, the firmware is 5.11. I had the same problem a long time ago until I upgraded the firmware. Hope this helps.
OffGrid
Offgrid
OutBack Expert

My RE system: 2 VFX-3524's
3 MX-60's
6kW PV array
1766 Amp (@ 20 hr) battery bank
Off grid over 25 years

Return to MX60 Charge Controller