mx60 frozen buttons problem

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

mx60 frozen buttons problem

Postby dodgyrog on Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 am

hi all if any of you guys have had the same pproblem and have changed thekey pad or have info regarding this problem i would love to hear from you, whats the latest?
all info gratefully recieved Rog
dodgyrog
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 1660WATT pv,mx60,VFX3024e,1200WATT windturbine ,24v 825ah forklift batterie,honda 4.5kw lpg genni

Re: mx60 frozen buttons problem

Postby ronrosenfeld on Wed May 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I just changed the button board on my MX60 today, but I haven't put it back in service yet. Today was a nice, rainy day -- good day to work on the MX60.
My buttons have been getting increasingly flaky over the past few years; at first just the fourth button, but more recently the fourth button has become completely unresponsive, and the first button is starting to act up. Those are the buttons that get the most work.

I might have considered just replacing the buttons, but it is almost as much work to do that as to replace the whole button board. It took me a few hours to do the replacement, but I'm pretty handy with electronic stuff. Outback will send the board, as well as some other stuff that you need to replace when you pull things apart. Take a look here: http://outbackpower.com/resources/docum ... ontrollers for manuals on Flexmax Board replacement and also the MX60 Board Replacement. The Flexmax document has the instructions for the button board; the MX60 manual may be better for removing the chassis from the case, but does not have instructions for the button board. The manuals will give you an idea of what you need to know. I found them easy to follow, but I'm used to doing this sort of stuff. I did have a few questions, and they were answered promptly by telephone to tech support. You might want to keep their hours in mind if you decide to go ahead with the project.

Tomorrow I'll put the unit back into service, and hopefully everything will work. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until then.
ronrosenfeld
OutBack Whiz

Postby benlevi on Tue May 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Ron,
I'm having the same issue with my Flexmax 60, which is over six years old... the right button doesn't work (I made the mistake of trying to pull it out a bit... wrong move. I've found the manual online on replacing the button board, but Outback won't sell me a replacement... can I ask where you got yours?
Many thanks.
Ben
benlevi

Postby ronrosenfeld on Tue May 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Ben,
I purchased (it would have been free had my unit still been in warranty) the replacement LCD button display board directly from Outback. They offered to supply only the buttons, but since I was going to have to disassemble the unit anyway, I figured I maight as well replace the whole board.
-- Ron
ronrosenfeld
OutBack Whiz

Postby benlevi on Wed May 13, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks for the info, Ron... when I called them yesterday they didn't make me that offer, instead directing me to one of their distributors, who apparently need a part #. Do you happen to have the part # for the flexmax 60 button board?
Many thanks,
Ben
benlevi

Postby ronrosenfeld on Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

I'm sorry. I don't have a part number.

By the way, have you checked to make sure all the nipples on the buttons are pulled through the circuit board, as they should be? And that the contacts are clean? If, when you pulled on the button, you pulled it out of the circuit board, that's an easy fix (although you do have to disassemble the unit to get at it. And, while you've got it open, cleaning the contacts would be a good idea. But, depending on how far you disassemble, there is a Sil-Pad insulator that should be replaced when you re-assemble the unit..
ronrosenfeld
OutBack Whiz

Postby benlevi on Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for the info. FYI the part # for the button board is SPARE-035, and a 2010 retail price list from Outback showed the price as $165 (unbelievable...). I'm thinking the contacts just need to be cleaned, so will look at doing that when I disassemble the thing... but if the board does need replacing, I may end up buying a new controller (I found it as low as $520) and keep the old one as a spare.
benlevi

Postby ronrosenfeld on Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Good luck. FYI, back when I did mine, tech support told me that just cleaning the contacts (and checking the button positioning) worked about 1/2 the time. But my cost for the board was less than half what you wrote.
ronrosenfeld
OutBack Whiz

Return to MX60 Charge Controller