FM60 SHOWS INPUT VOLTAGE AND BULK CHARGE MODE

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

FM60 SHOWS INPUT VOLTAGE AND BULK CHARGE MODE

Postby AUSTIN1957 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

I noticed my FM60 in bulk charge mode when it should have been sleeping. Input voltage was about 58 v .
I turned off the PV power with no change to input voltage. I then restart in float mode and controller returned to
Sleep mode but still showing input voltage at nite. Next sleep cycle shows input voltage at 8.5 v .
Is anyone else having weird glitches ?
Will this problem get worse or cause the controller to stop charging if not corrected?
AUSTIN1957

My RE system: FM60

Re: FM60 SHOWS INPUT VOLTAGE AND BULK CHARGE MODE

Postby pss on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I would be most concerned that you say there is input voltage from a source at night of 58 volts. Solar panels don't generate voltage at night, but they can in a full moon situation.
So I would suggest that at night, if the CC shows an input voltage, you measure the voltage directly at the terminals of the charge controller where your panels connect. If there is voltage, disconnecting the panels and measuring the CC terminals directly with the meter should report a voltage of zero. If not, there is a wiring issue between your load center, batteries and the charge controller. Next, if you did read zero volts at the cc, next measure the panel wires not connected to the cc, and if there is voltage at night, go to your DC disconnect switch at the panels and then measure again. If still voltage, turn off the breakers in the combiner box and measure again. If, after everything is off at the breaker panel level and DC disconnect switch and the wires still show a measurable voltage, you have a wiring issue in your circuit connections.

Remember to use all precautions when working with live circuits. if you are not certain of the proper protection and techniques, hire an electrician.
pss
OutBack Expert

My RE system: 7800 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8046A, GLSC load center, Mate 3, Hub 10.3 and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Return to MX60 Charge Controller