How to limit input voltage from gen set??

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

How to limit input voltage from gen set??

Postby Wayno on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Just upgraded from single to classic stack. Added second MX60, second VFX3524, second 1,400 watt panel array etc. Added X240 transformer. All to assure redundancy to the leg our freezer is plugged into. New MX60 setup menus are different from 9 year older one :shock:
Changed 7kw watt gen set wiring to split phase.

While charging I noticed battery voltage had risen to 29.8. Limited in CCs to 28.2 from panels. Been through all the docs I have as well as forum. Can't find how to limit Gen set input for VFXs??

Second question - would I need a second RTS, or is one RTS output "shared" regarding data through hub to both MX60s?

Any help much appreciated!
Wayno

My RE system: Two Outback VFX3524 in enclosures, Two MX60, an PSX 240 Auto Transformer, Mate2,
(16) SW175 divide into two strings @ 48V to CCs, 900 AH of battery @24V, 7KW Honda Genset.
Next project......Wind

Re: How to limit input voltage from gen set??

Postby SandyP on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 am

Re the Genset input limit for VFX units.

Go to the ADV/FX/GEN section of the Mate menu and :

The ac2/gen input limit is the maximum current
the FX can draw from a generator. When this limit
is reached, the FX reduces its battery charging
function to prevent overloading the generator. If
the generator exceeds this limit, the FX will start
blinking the red ERROR LED as a warning. This
setting’s range is 1.0AAC to 30.0AAC

If you want/need to limit the amount of DC amps sent to the batteries by the charger(s) then do this in the ADV/FX/CHARGER section of the Mate menu.

The charger limit is the maximum AC current the
FX uses to charge the batteries. Depending on
the FX model, the setting range is as low as
0.0 AAC to between 6.0AAC and 10.0AAC
SandyP
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2)
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Postby Mike Curran on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 am

Re second RTS:

As long as you have a single RTS plugged into the device on port 1 of your Hub then a second one is not needed, all devices will share the one RTS's temp compensation data. My system has the two GVFX's on ports 1 & 2, IIRC that's where they need to be for the stacking to work right. So my RTS is plugged into the master GVFX on port 1.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby Wayno on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 am

Hello Sandy P. Thanks. My mate is 9 years old, so found gen settings under SETUP/FX/INPUT
So first...Your ADV/FX/GEN...my SETUP/FX/INPUT
My aac input limit was set at 58aac (Default 60aac), which was seemed to work without issue when charging through one VFX3524 through the gen set's 20 amp breaker. I have adjusted down to 15aac per port, which I assume is 15aac per leg 110v of split phase across 240 input through the gen sets 240/ 30a breaker to two VFX3524
Is this thinking correct?

ADV/FX/CHARGER
The upper limit on my system is 20aac (no limits on VOLTAGE or refernce to DC amperage that I can see). Set at 15aac both ports.

Hopefully this will correct the high VOLTAGE (29.8vdc) to bat string.
I do not have a FlexnetDC, but I did install multiple shunts. Maybe the answer is a FlexnetDC, but if still I need another RTS than little to gain.
Thoughts??
Wayno

My RE system: Two Outback VFX3524 in enclosures, Two MX60, an PSX 240 Auto Transformer, Mate2,
(16) SW175 divide into two strings @ 48V to CCs, 900 AH of battery @24V, 7KW Honda Genset.
Next project......Wind

Postby Mike Curran on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am

Hey Wayno - Good catch ("Classic off-grid FX models are the only inverters/charger series that cannot share the data among themselves; therefore each FX will need their own RTS connected for proper temperature compensation.") Didn't know that.

It does sound like if you have the FX in port 1 connected to an RTS AND you have some sort of system display (e.g., a Mate) then the RTS data will be shared to your CC's: "The MATE or AXS Port will allow the RTS data to be shared among all controllers when connected to the controller in Port 1. If no system display is present then each controller will require its own RTS." So maybe all you need are 2 RTS's, one on each FX, with your Master FX plugged into port 1.

Sorry if I'm be laboring the point! :smile:

- Mike

PS A clarification when I say CC I'm referring to your MX60's.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm

While charging I noticed battery voltage had risen to 29.8. Limited in CCs to 28.2 from panels. Been through all the docs I have as well as forum. Can't find how to limit Gen set input for VFXs?
I "think" the setting you are looking for is inverter absorb voltage, ADV/FX/Charger, Be sure to set it to the same in both inverters individually, eg port 1 & 2 ( if thats the ports they are in,, should be)
If you have "never been in there" I would presume your times are also way short ? (default)

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Wayno on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 am

Hello Tim,

ADV/FX/Charger allows me to limit aac going to charger as opposed to aac splitting off to load. I need to limit Voltage.

I can limit Absorb etc from menus on the MX60 but that only reflects PV input apportioned to batteries. There is no issue with PV as to controls limits to battery string.

When my batteries were hitting 29.8 off Gen Set, the MX60s were sleeping, so this is purely a VFX3525 issue. I did not have this issue until I added a second VFX in Classic Stack and converted Gen Set input to 240 split phase.

Right now I have both VMX as master, Well try second VMX as classic slave next. I have been adding and bringing up components in stages and let run to verify stability. I note that I noticed this over-voltage issue before I enabled the FX240 for load balancing.

Thanks for response
Wayno

Next project......Wind

Postby SandyP on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 am

Wayno wrote:Hello Tim,

ADV/FX/Charger allows me to limit aac going to charger as opposed to aac splitting off to load. I need to limit Voltage.
..../....

Thanks for response

As per Tim's post, like the FM the VFX also has Voltage set points for the absorb and float stages of charging when using the inverter's charger. the setting for these are right after the aac charger limit section of the programming menu of the VFX.

ADV/FX/CHARGER---------P00 (or in your case SETUP/FX/INPUT?)
absorb
set point

The absorb set point is the fi rst stage (BULK)
recharging voltage for the batteries. This set point
ranges from 13.0VDC to 16.0VDC (for a 12V system).
SandyP
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2)
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Postby Wayno on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Sandy P & Tim,

Yup, that was it. I blew right past it. One of the MX60s had absorb set at 29.8.

Duh :oops:

Thanks all!
Wayno

Next project......Wind

Return to MX60 Charge Controller