lowering "AC in" so gen can handle load?

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

lowering "AC in" so gen can handle load?

Postby tyssniffen on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 am

So I've got an old school (Listeroid) diesel engine that I want to push power with into my off-grid system. it's got a pretty simple ST3Kw alternator set for 120v/60hz... but when I connect it up to the AC in, the load seems to be massive.

I don't actually have much of any 'house load' on the system when this happens. maybe one vent fan or something, but that's it. maybe a light bulb, but probably not.

still, watching my mate, I see the amps in jump to 25 or 30, and more importantly, the gen can't handle the big load and slows down, thus messing up the hertz, and then the whole system gives up on the inconsistent frequency.

I'm hoping I can turn down the 'AC in' in such a way that the load won't be so huge.

I've tried to turn down the AAC 'gen' and 'grid' and that doesn't seem to have any affect. any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? or if this will even help?
tyssniffen

My RE system: off-grid, 48v, one inverter, fx, mate2

Re: lowering "AC in" so gen can handle load?

Postby jguzman on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am

The Inverter/charger can be quite the load when 'Bulking' the batteries. You might also want to reduce the charger current limit.
Go to: Adv / FX / Chrgr then press "Decrease" to drop the current limit.
You could start low then increase the charger current in 1 amp increments until you can hear the generator idle hard.
Jorge Guzman
Technical Support Supervisor

Watch easy to follow video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/c/wattschool
jguzman
Applications Engineering

My RE system: GVFX3524, FM80, MATE3. 3x 260W REC. 4x Trojan L16 FLA 370Ah.

Re: lowering "AC in" so gen can handle load?

Postby tyssniffen on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

huh. ok, I'll try that. we'd been going to advanced/FX/Gen and Grid, and lowering that number, to no result.
tyssniffen

My RE system: off-grid, 48v, one inverter, fx, mate2

Return to MX60 Charge Controller