wizard battery charging screen

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

wizard battery charging screen

Postby Megunticook on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 am

Local CEO just passed us on the inspection, we're ready to start making some power! I have the prewired FlexPower 8048A and am ready to hook up the batteries and program the MATE.

But in looking through the "setup and programming" page of the quickstart guide, I'm confused by the Time settings in the Wizard Battery Charging screen. Doesn't the absorb phase end when the charge current drops below a certain level as the battery gets closer to 100% SOC? And wouldn't the time that takes depend on the amount of current being fed to the battery, the battery's state of charge at the beginning of the cycle, etc? Why do you need to set a time parameter? And with float, isn't that a constant ongoing low-current charge that keeps the battery "topped off" once it's been recharged? Again not sure why you need to set a time limit on that.

And with equalization, my Rolls-Surette manual says the time for that can vary, they advise stopping when the S.G. of the electrolyte stays constant for at least one hour. Not sure how you would set a predetermined time parameter there either.

Thanks for advice.
User avatar
Megunticook
Forum Expert
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 am
Location: Maine
My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

Re: wizard battery charging screen

Postby Mike Curran on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Megunticook wrote:... in looking through the "setup and programming" page of the quickstart guide, I'm confused by the Time settings in the Wizard Battery Charging screen. Doesn't the absorb phase end when the charge current drops below a certain level as the battery gets closer to 100% SOC?

Yes, but... Your battery condition changes over time and the absorb time limit insures that if absorb isn't dropping down to the preset end amps setting, absorb stage will terminate. In this situation it's very possible your absorb end amps setting was too low. You need to take a specific gravity reading at this point to determine if your battery has reached full or not. If not, increase the absorb time and keep the same end amps setting. On the other hand, if it's full, increase the end amps setting to whatever it was when absorb was terminated. You'll need to experiment a bit here.

Megunticook wrote:...and wouldn't the time that takes depend on the amount of current being fed to the battery, the battery's state of charge at the beginning of the cycle, etc? Why do you need to set a time parameter?
See above.

Megunticook wrote:And with float, isn't that a constant ongoing low-current charge that keeps the battery "topped off" once it's been recharged? Again not sure why you need to set a time limit on that.

If you have a good solar source then I would set this for 1 hour. If not you're better off keeping float time longer to insure you can get through the night.
Megunticook wrote:And with equalization, my Rolls-Surette manual says the time for that can vary, they advise stopping when the S.G. of the electrolyte stays constant for at least one hour. Not sure how you would set a predetermined time parameter there either.
Start with a one hour equalization and check your SG's. Adjust EQ time as SG's dictate.

I've found the Rolls battery manual to be a good resource: http://rollsbattery.com/wp-content/uplo ... Manual.pdf
Mike Curran
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:28 pm
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Re: wizard battery charging screen

Postby Megunticook on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks for explanations. I reread the Rolls manual carefully and saw their forumula for computing absorption time. Will confirm with S.G. readings though as you suggest.

I'll experiment with the float charge. Most likely the batteries will typically be near 100% SOC at the start of each day, so maybe if the panels give them an hour or two of float each day that will suffice to keep them topped off.
User avatar
Megunticook
Forum Expert
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 am
Location: Maine
My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH


Return to Mate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests