Mate reports large AC load during AGS charging cycle

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Mate reports large AC load during AGS charging cycle

Postby drstrip on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 pm

My Mate is reporting buying 4.9kW, charging 3.7kW, AC load 1.2kW. I'm quite confident (based on years of monitoring power consumption in the house) that the load is actually more like 200W or less. When the generator shuts downs, the AC load will drop fairly quickly to what I expect. What is the other AC load? Is it charging/rectifying loss?
drstrip
Forum Virtuoso

Location: New Mexico - The land of enchantment and 76% of possible sunshine
My RE system: 18 x 160W BP3160 modules
2 x VFX3524
2 x MX 60
Mate/Hub/Trimetric
HUP SolarOne batteries SO-6-85-33/23 - 1690AH@24V http://www.hupsolarone.com/
Kohler 15RYG backup

Re: Mate reports large AC load during AGS charging cycle

Postby klundquist on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:15 am

What happens if you press the AC input button then press DROP to disconnect from the generator? If you still see the load I would say that something else is turning on when the generator is operating. Perhaps there is a dump load. The generator starting battery charger could also be part of the load but I wouldn't expect 1kW for just the battery charger. If your 15kW generator is Diesel then a dump load would make sense to prevent wet stacking. Then again I would expect such a load to bring the generator to >50% duty cycle.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby drstrip on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

Pressing DROP has not effect - the system immediately returns to "use". No idea why.
I can set the Charger mode to off and the AC load drops rapidly from the 1K max to the more typical 100-20W depending on time of day.

As to the load, the 1kW is not instant, but rather grows over time. The genset is running now and the load is 500W but will likely creep up to 1kW. The load immediately before running was 100-200W. Over time the inverters/chargers get downright toasty and derate to a lower charge rate. Could that have anything to do with the issue?

The only systems in the house capable of a 1kW load are the microwave and toaster. It's easy to know if these are on. The only hard-to-observe load is the submersible pump which draws about 600W, but I've tried turning that off as a check and the load remains.
I don't believe I have a dump load anywhere, but I might be missing something.
The generator is a natural gas fired Kohler 15RYG, not diesel. At max charging it's running at about 40% load.
drstrip
Forum Virtuoso

2 x VFX3524
2 x MX 60
Mate/Hub/Trimetric
Kohler 15RYG backup

Postby klundquist on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:43 pm

At this point I see two possibilities:

1. The reported AC load is real.
Perhaps you can test this by shutting off the main output breaker from the inverter system. With the main output breaker off the only load on the generator should be whatever the FX is buying to charge the batteries. If the load goes away when the output breaker is off, then comes back when the breaker is turned on I would say this is a pretty good indication the load is real. Start flipping off the branch circuit breakers to help locate where the load is at.

2. The reported AC load is not real.
In this case I will suggest that perhaps you are misinterpreting the Mate display or old Mate firmware/FX firmware is causing things to look funny. Do you know the firmware version of your Mate? I assume you have a Mate and not a newer Mate3. The load info that you see on the Mate display comes from the FX inverters. You can drill into each inverter status to get a better idea of what is going on by pressing STATUS > FX > METER. Use the Port button to change from P01 to P02 (Port 1 to Port 2 top right of screen). That screen will show you what each of the inverters are doing. Load will be the difference between buying and charging.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby drstrip on Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:45 pm

klundquist wrote:At this point I see two possibilities:

1. The reported AC load is real.
Perhaps you can test this by shutting off the main output breaker from the inverter system

I have to admit I'm not curious enough to have to reset all the clocks in the house :-)

2. The reported AC load is not real.
In this case I will suggest that perhaps you are misinterpreting the Mate display or old Mate firmware/FX firmware is causing things to look funny. Do you know the firmware version of your Mate?
I assume you have a Mate and not a newer Mate3.

Yes, it's an original Mate. firmware version is 4.1.6

The load info that you see on the Mate display comes from the FX inverters. You can drill into each inverter status to get a better idea of what is going on by pressing STATUS > FX > METER. Use the Port button to change from P01 to P02 (Port 1 to Port 2 top right of screen). That screen will show you what each of the inverters are doing. Load will be the difference between buying and charging.

-Kurt

I'll try to remember to check more closely when the generator next runs. (Had a near fiasco a couple of days ago when the generator wouldn't start. Seems I had frozen condensate in the gas regulator on the genset. I'm running off of unfiltered well-head natural gas, which has all sorts of "interesting additions" in it, including water vapor, apparently.)
drstrip
Forum Virtuoso

2 x VFX3524
2 x MX 60
Mate/Hub/Trimetric
Kohler 15RYG backup

Postby drstrip on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:54 pm

(sorry for the delay in posting this additional info):

I triggered a generator cycle. Before starting the generator the load was 100W. The generator started up and a minute later the relay clicked and the chargers started "buying" power. Within seconds of the click the AC load jumped from 100W to 600W. I doubt it was a coincidence that some other load in the house fired up. The meter readings on the FX screens were consistent with these loads.

So charging is doing something that creates an AC load (or the appearance of one).
drstrip
Forum Virtuoso

2 x VFX3524
2 x MX 60
Mate/Hub/Trimetric
Kohler 15RYG backup

Postby cflocker on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 am

Are you using the 3.15.5 firmware on the Mate3? There are a number of threads related to the phantom load including http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8949
cflocker
Forum Member

My RE system: Radian GS4048A
GSLC175-PV1-120/240
FlexMax 80
FN-DC
Mate3
700AH AGM batteries
3.8kw Canadian solar panels
Generac Ecogen 15kw

Postby drstrip on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 am