My RE system: VFXR3648A
MX60 x 2
Mate3s & Hub 10
5 Simpliphi 3.8 kWh LiFePO4 batteries
2100 watt PV array
8kW Hardy Perkins generator

Mate displaying amps, not displaying watts

Post by bcnu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Within the past 2 or 3 weeks my Mate2, which had faithfully performed for the past 5+ years, and in conjunction with an FNDC for probably 4 years, has intermittently stopped displaying watts on the screen that displays the current running through each shunt even though it shows the amps. Here is an image of the screen:
That particular screen is the only one not displaying watts where watts should be displayed, such as this one photographed within a minute of that first image:

While there have been some days that watts display correctly there was a stretch of 5 to 7 days that it only displayed the 0.000.

Shunt A measures current between batteries and inverter. Shunts B and C measure current from my two MX60s to the batteries.

Any thoughts? I have come to rely on the display of watts. Is this Mate on its last legs? Could the problem be in the FNDC?

Thank you for all comments and suggestions.

dhamilton
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: 2x VFXR3524A, FLEXmax80, 6x EnergyCell 106NC, Mate3

Re: Mate displaying amps, not displaying watts

Post by dhamilton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 pm

I would suggest tightening the twisted pair wires on the back of the FNDC and see if that helps. Also check the other end of those wires (At the shunts and battery). If that doesn't help I would try another Cat5 cable between the FNDC and the Hub.

Please let me know if this solves the problem or if you find the problem.

bcnu
Forum Member
My RE system: VFXR3648A
MX60 x 2
Mate3s & Hub 10
5 Simpliphi 3.8 kWh LiFePO4 batteries
2100 watt PV array
8kW Hardy Perkins generator

Post by bcnu » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you for responding. This week it has displayed the watts every time I checked, so I won't mess with it for the time being. But since it was measuring and reporting the amps, doesn't that indicate the problem was not one of detecting and measuring the current, but rather an error in processing the data? Or that the FNDC, although measuring amps, is not measuring the voltage so it cannot compute the watts?

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Post by tallgirl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:45 pm

bcnu wrote:Thank you for responding. This week it has displayed the watts every time I checked, so I won't mess with it for the time being. But since it was measuring and reporting the amps, doesn't that indicate the problem was not one of detecting and measuring the current, but rather an error in processing the data? Or that the FNDC, although measuring amps, is not measuring the voltage so it cannot compute the watts?
My fuzzy memory is that the FN-DC uC and other parts is powered from the connection to the Hub, but that the voltage measurement is from the batteries. I'd look there.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.