Mate 3 Now Shipping

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderator: OutBack Moderator Team

Mate 3 Now Shipping

Postby William of Orange on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 am

Hi its been a while since my last post, Ive had a very busy couple of years and have left full time retirement to become an full time Off grid Solar Installer and retailer. Please to say my main sellers are Outback Equipment ! I have also gone from an Xantrex set up to a Outback FP1-6 with a second FM60 for the second array. It is easier to demonstrate and sell when you have the same system installed that you are recommending. No slate on my X Gear as it worked well, its they have lost the plot for sales in Europe.

The Mate 3 is now shipping over here and Ive spent this afternoon reading through the manual. There are a lot of functions on the new Mate 3 that are listed as TBA (to be determined)
Such as the Internet Monitoring and software, data logging, event logging and configuration wizard. Do we have any time frame of these features being available. Im mostly interested in the Internet Monitoring. As this will enable me to meet my clients across a wide coverage area at a cafe of restaurant with WIFI or Mobile 3G and demonstrate my OB system live On Line.

Regards Nigel
William of Orange
OutBack Expert

My RE system: Outback FP1-6 + FM60, 24 x 2v Varta FLA 700ah cells. 2400w Fixed Array, 12 x 200w Isophoton Mono Crystalline Cells, 6 x 162 w Poly Crystalline Modules on Lorentz Single Axis Tracker. To fit
1 KW Aerodyne Longbow Wind Turbine.

Re: Mate 3 Now Shipping

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:43 am

As this will enable me to meet my clients across a wide coverage area at a cafe of restaurant with WIFI or Mobile 3G and demonstrate my OB system live On Line.

I can`t help with an answer on mate 3, But I am doing the above with a cheap low power PC , Wattplot pro and www.teamviewer.com (using customers Wifi/ADSL, Signal dependent, could use 3g etc) I monitor from a laptop & Android phone (HTC Wildfire) I can see/show whats going on, Start the gen & It sends alert/error emails to both, Sometimes enabling me to get to site and repair fault before the client even notices they have a fault, All from a cafe/bar/Beach :smile:

Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby William of Orange on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 am

Hi Tim thanks for that . Teamview looks interesting. I am hopeful that with the pricing of the Mate 3 as it is. The internet connection and software will be included as a bundle, which means that 3rd party software will not be required. Im hoping that this is the case before i commit to the investment. Having a FP1-6 with a Hub10 and FNDC and a additional FM60 the Mate 3 with bundled software and internet access enabled will be great for me.

Not so Sunny Spain Today (Hailstone size of Hazelnuts in Late April) 8-[

Nigel
William of Orange
OutBack Expert

My RE system: Outback FP1-6 + FM60, 24 x 2v Varta FLA 700ah cells. 2400w Fixed Array, 12 x 200w Isophoton Mono Crystalline Cells, 6 x 162 w Poly Crystalline Modules on Lorentz Single Axis Tracker. To fit

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:29 am

Cloudy but only had 6 spots of rain here in Ibiza :smile:

I am waiting for the new mate to be "useful" But as a tool I would recommend Wattplot / Greenmonitor on a PC, Being able to "see" the whole system and what it is doing all at once is very helpful in setup and trouble shooting, As it is quiet here in winter, I leave it on one of my customers sites FOC ( on cheep ebay 80£ computer) Come season, I transfer it back to my laptop and charge for it :-) It has paid for it`self many times over :grin:
Have a good one
Tim

ps I will add a screen shot when my clients net comes back up, Bit of rain, it falls over,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s Ibiza,,,,,,,
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby tallgirl on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:22 am

William of Orange wrote:Hi Tim thanks for that . Teamview looks interesting. I am hopeful that with the pricing of the Mate 3 as it is. The internet connection and software will be included as a bundle, which means that 3rd party software will not be required. Im hoping that this is the case before i commit to the investment. Having a FP1-6 with a Hub10 and FNDC and a additional FM60 the Mate 3 with bundled software and internet access enabled will be great for me.

Not so Sunny Spain Today (Hailstone size of Hazelnuts in Late April) 8-[

Nigel

Nigel,

I'd be =very= careful exposing a Mate 3 to the Internet. If you must, make sure there is a good quality router between it and the Internet and make sure you open or forward as few ports as possible to it.

The Mate 3 comes with an RJ-45 Ethernet port in the back, along with the standard RJ-45 OutBack connection. A number of features have been defined, but they've not been implemented yet. And I've poked enough to know that they aren't ;)

Whether or not 3rd party software would be required is more a function of what the system is doing than what software is bundled on the Mate 3. Neither Mate works with hardware from any other vendor and neither Mate has the performance needed to really analyze what a system is doing.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby William of Orange on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:33 am

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your input. I visited your site to day and my head hasnt stopped spinning. The options and choices are huge. My initial point of this post was having made the asumption that the Mate 3 was the total new solution for monitoring Outback systems via the mate its self or remotely via the network connection then I was asking for a time frame of the TBA items mentioned in the Manual. The fact that the Mates are proprietary was not a concern, but I can see the advantage of your equipment in a larger market and I do indeed stock Bogart Products.

Again I expect with OB launching the M·3 that with network access built in, owners of the M·3 should be able to control the system and monitor if via the internet. The manual shows details for installers to enter there own password for a level of control beyond the client.

Obviously if I purchased a M3 and it was connected to my router in the house, I would just like to access it safely when meeting clients via wifi or mobile internet connection.

Nigel
William of Orange
OutBack Expert

Postby tallgirl on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Nigel,

The degree of control and system integration is absolutely huge. Our long term goal is to compete against some very large companies -- with very large prices for their products.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to Mate