Mate2 or Mate3

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderator: OutBack Moderator Team

Mate2 or Mate3

Postby Madmax on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello all,

I have an FM80 that i would like to monitor/control from inside our house. It looks like i need a Mate. Should i be getting a Mate2 or Mate3?

Cheers,

Matt
Madmax

My RE system: Current - 400Ah 24v Century Yuasa, 850w mixed panels, Plasmatronics PC2422 regulator, selectronics SA30 inverter
On the way - 1000Ah 24v Neuton Power, 2.28kW new panels, FM80

Re: Mate2 or Mate3

Postby tallgirl on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:11 pm

That depends on what you want to do with the Mate.

There are three different monitoring products that are sold by people who read this forum (really only two -- the WinVerter owner doesn't stop by here very often). Those devices currently only work with the Mate 2. However, the Mate 3 has the ability to produce charts on its own display, but the Ethernet connection isn't enabled at present and there is no RS-232 (serial) interface.

So. If you want a simple display that just has numbers and you never intend to use an external monitoring product, the Mate 2 is just fine. If you want a monitoring product that you can use on your computer right now, you have to use the Mate 2. If you want to look at charts without using a computer, and you don't want to access the device over the internet, the Mate 3 is the right choice. There is a (significant) cost difference, and you have to decide how you want to go with that as well.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 am

If you are only using a FM and no other OB products and do not want to use GP or WP monitoring software`s, I would not bother with either,
You are best to program straight on the FM, And apart from the fact that you can see what your panels are doing there`s not much else worth looking at with just an FM.

Have a good one
Tim

PS you do not mention remote temp sensing, It is VERY important to have sensors on ALL charge sources,
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Madmax on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:36 pm

I'd like to be able to monitor the system from inside the house, thats the main purpose.

Is the outback power battery temperature sensor just a thermocouple? If so, what kind is it? If not, where can i get the temp sensor in Australia?

Cheers,

Matt
Madmax

My RE system: Current - 400Ah 24v Century Yuasa, 850w mixed panels, Plasmatronics PC2422 regulator, selectronics SA30 inverter
On the way - 1000Ah 24v Neuton Power, 2.28kW new panels, FM80

Postby tallgirl on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 am

If you want to be able to monitor it inside the house, in real time, using a computer, the Mate 2 is the only option at present. The Mate 3 will eventually have firmware that allows you to access its data over a network connection, but that isn't available right now.

If you'd be content standing at the Mate 3 and looking at graphs on its display, the Mate 3 would be an option, but the data resolution is not as fine, or else you start to run out of memory for the data files.

The Mate 3 is more of a traditional data logger in that what it does is log data. Something else has to post-process or analyze that data, provide reports, etc. This is what the greenMonitor (what my company makes) and WattPlot (from Andrew at Intallact) software products do.

Our software can run on a Windows or Linux PC (we have little demand for Mac OS X and that support tends to lag behind as a result), or a low-power data logger (greenMonitor Lite) with more advanced capabilities than a Mate 3. WattPlot must be run on Microsoft Windows, either on a Windows PC (native) or a virtual machine running under Linux (VMware or Xen) or Mac OS X (Parallels). Intallact doesn't have an embedded hardware solution, but for people who like the WattPlot display, but don't like the power consumption of running a real computer 24/7, the greenMonitor Lite can be used with WattPlot. That set-up is pretty straight-forward -- use WattPlot to look at the system when your computer is up and running, and let the greenMonitor Lite keep track of the data when your computer is turned off or somewhere else.

If you shared a bit about what you want to do with the data, that would be helpful.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby Jamie on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 am

G’day Matt,

The mate will do the trick, I run about 50 mtrs of cat5 from the system in the shed to the house, no problem. You can see instantaneous information and some history that is stored for 128 days.

The temp sensor looks like a thermocouple not sure what type, 2 spots to get one in Aust.
Gee-tek in Geelong install outback products and should be able to sell you one. www.gee-tek.com.au
Or online from www.solaronline.com.au, you may be able to save a few dollars by getting it from the states through someone like www.mavericksolar.com

Cheers
Jamie
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 12 x 165W BP panels, MX80, VFX3048, 24 x Raylite MTL25F batteries, 200w wind turbine, Hub4, Mate, 3.8kva petrol generator

Postby unicornio on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:40 am

the mate3 can be connected to your local network and you can watch everything from the web server of the mate3 with any web browser...
http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/ Monitor On-Line planta de energia solar: http://www.jeperez.com/monitor-solar-outback/ Servico Tecnico Oficial de OutBack en España http://www.viviendaaislada.es/
unicornio
OutBack Guru

My RE system: VFX3024E - FM60X2 - Hub4 - FlexNet DC 3 shunts - Mate3- Array DC GFS & AC Bypass from Outback - 985 AH C120 OPzS EXIDE Solar Classic battery - KYOCERA 1,56 KWp PV Array- Lorentz ETATrack Solar Tracker with easy inclination axis variation system- 6KVA Yanmar Chinese bio-diesel genset in AGS mode via DeepSea 3110 & Mate3 - Efergy Elite energy monitor- PCE-FWS20 (Watson) Solar Meteo Station

Return to Mate