I tried to answer questions as asked the observations I did not respond to. Your right it is big
I just got my Mate3 yesterday. I've been reviewing the manual prior to connecting it into my existing system.
1. Wow is this thing big! Much too large for the living area walls.
2. How was it intended that this be mounted? No bracket holes that I can see. It can't go on a wall like my current Mate due to cable sockets.The cables need about 2 inches of free space behind the Mate if you are ever to be able to remove them.
There are mounting options available
To big to attach sent me a private msg I will attach and send back
3. Lots of information available, but I can't immagine going to the solar equipment room to review it except when I have my 'maintenance man' hat on. as a home owner, I want it either on the living area walls, or on my computer as I do with the current Mate.
4. What is the point of having the Gen button as a permenant hot key on the front if it isnt usable with Outback grid-tie inverters?
Not all OutBack inverters are G series the others can use the Gen option.
5. That lower front cover is going to get lost or broken real fast. As an example, I just brought the unit to the equipment area to try out and then came back to complete this posting - where is the cover? back with the equipment!
6. I think the package layout designer must have attended school with MicroSoft. Why is a button intended to open the Programming functions labeled 'Lock' ? Just like finding you shut down 'Windows' by clicking 'start' !
The menus that can be selected from that point on can be blocked from use hence LOCK.
7. Startup is a snap! Just connect it to the cable currently going to the existing Mate and it Works! But it shows the off-grid synbol set even though I have a pair of grid-tie inverters.
Press Lock -enter Password(141)
select SYSTEM INFORMATION
change to GRID TIED
OutBack Power Technologies
6115 62 Ave NE, Arlington, WA 98223 USA
Tel: 360.435.6030 Fax: 360.435.6019 http://www.outbackpower.com