When do the Advance setting take effect?

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderator: OutBack Moderator Team

When do the Advance setting take effect?

Postby MikeH on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 am

Hi, We are looking for help with a general Mate question on the Advanced settings. We have very erratic grid voltage, fluctuating from 92 - 145 - The error light is flashing on our FX3048 - the warning indicated the upper limit of the grid power was too high. I have set the ac1/grid upper limit from 130 to 148vac however this does not seem to have taken effect and our battery bank is not being recharged. How do we know the advance settings have been accepted by the system? Perhaps I am missing an additional step? Thanks for the help. Mike H
MikeH

My RE system: Outback GTFX3048

Re: When do the Advance setting take effect?

Postby tallgirl on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Normally if the voltage regulation is that poor, the frequency regulation isn't much better.

Do you know how the frequency is holding up? And where are you located?
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby MikeH on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:17 am

Hi,

We are are in Grand Goave, Haiti. I do not have the frequency. I ended up splitting the pair of incoming cables - not sure if they were 2 phase or not - the voltage on one line was only 113volts - I rewired the system using that and now the batteries have charged, however, I may have another problem!! The charger is still drawing a significant current - 1.2kw after nearly 12 hours of charging - this does not feel correct! Do you have any suggestions?

Two Banks of 8 T105 Trojan 6v batteries - using information from this site I set the DC charging parameters to Float 53.8 Eq 63.2 and Bulk at 58.8. The bulk time to 3hrs and the Float to 3hrs. - perhaps these parameters may be the issue?
MikeH

Postby Kent Osterberg on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Mike,

The advance settings take effect immediately. I believe the reason you didn't see any change may be that the frequency was also beyond the acceptable limits. Another possibility is that the GTFX inverter also has an IEEE voltage tolerance window.

Using 1.2 kW to charge the batteries after 12 hours or may may not be excessive. At a float voltage of 53.8 volts the dc current would be about 19 amps or 4% of the battery capacity. That is high for batteries that are in good condition and in continuous float mode. But if the charger had just started a re-float, it might not be excessive. Other possible cause could be: the charger didn't operate continuously because input voltage variation caused it to disconnect. At three hours, the absorb time may be too short. The best way to know is to observe the specific gravity as the batteries charge.
Kent Osterberg
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Postby MikeH on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi, thanks for the comments - I appreciate the help. All I need to do now if find a store that sells an sg unit! I know what I'm looking for but do not know of a shop that would sell one around here (Southern part of Haiti)
MikeH

Postby Kent Osterberg on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm

I'd look for a battery hydrometer at an auto parts store. If they don't keep them in stock, they can probably get them.
Kent Osterberg
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Return to Mate