Weekly exercise cycle

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderator: OutBack Moderator Team

Weekly exercise cycle

Postby Hazel on Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 am

Greetings!

Having brought a bank of sulphated batteries back from the dead (now a SG of 1275+ across all 24 cells :grin: ) and having looked carefully at standing loads in the system together with the output of the feeble PV panels we have, I can see that I need to run my 240V generator once a week for an hour. The installation is entirely "off grid" and may go a couple of weeks without a visit.

I had been advised by the designers and installers of the system that they had programmed the system to run every Friday for an hour - the "exercise cycle". Of course it doesn't - they hadn't read the manual ... "The generator will run once a month at this chosen time during the first occurrence of the chosen day."

Noise and diesel considerations mean I don't have an entirely free hand as to when to run the generator.

The PV panels seem to leave quite a surface voltage on the plates, and so the voltage as sensed by the mate doesn't drop appreciably until the night or late evening which is a "quiet time", so I'm not sure how or if the AGS Voltage Start can be used.

Sometimes the premises are used as a quiet retreat by non technical users over the weekend and it would be inappropriate to use the "Weekend Exercise" facility, and, as I understand it, that is both Saturday and Sunday, so doubles the amount of diesel used.

Is there a way I can get the generator to run once a week for an hour, dependably, apart from visiting the site and doing it manually?

Thanks,

H
Hazel

My RE system: 1 kW PV panel, Outback FX, Tri-star, 400AH of 48V Rolls Batteries

Re: Weekly exercise cycle

Postby blackswan555 on Sat May 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Have a look at "Must Run" pg 81 of the mate manual, I think that may be what you are looking for, A bit more info on your charge controller and it`s settings may bring some good suggestions ,
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Hazel on Sat May 29, 2010 1:06 pm

I've just had a look at the Must Run - and realised I've looked at it before - The Weekday Must Run appears to be every weekday which is too much, and the Weekend Must Run is both Saturday and Sunday (which is inappropriate for the installation).

Blackswan555: If you could let me know which specific settings might be relevant I'll get the details for you and post them here. From what I've seen of other aspects of the installation I suspect they'll be defaults.
Hazel

My RE system: 1 kW PV panel, Outback FX, Tri-star, 400AH of 48V Rolls Batteries

Postby Serge Dufresne on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Hello Hazel,

Have you find the way to exercise your generator once a week ?

I need the same function.
Serge Dufresne
OutBack Virtuoso

My RE system: RE technician.

Return to Mate