MATE 3 doesn't show anything happening on my inverter

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

MATE 3 doesn't show anything happening on my inverter

Postby Graham Horn on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 am

Due to a lightning strike, I recently had to replace my Mate with a Mate 3 and the information I am seeing on OPTICSRE is not making sense. If I hold my mouse next to the generator icon, it says it is stopped even when it is running delivering power. It also says it was last used 12/13/1901. When the generator is running, a dotted red line shows that current is flowing to the battery and to the load via the inverter in spite of it showing as "stopped". When the generator is off, there is never a dotted line showing current flowing from the inverter to the load even when there is a significant load, however, there is a line showing the flow from the battery to the inverter. When I first installed the Mate 3, I did see something that said my invertor's firmware was a step behind, but I no longer can get that displayed again, and neither do I know how to correct that.

Apart from some of the displayed information not making sense, the system is operational, but I don't know if correctly so.

I have heard that a complete reset of system can be done (remotely too), but I have no idea how to do that or if it would leave it in a non-recoverable state.

Any advice will be most welcome.
Graham Horn
Forum Member

My RE system: Mate 3, MX60, Flexnet DC, VFX3024E Inverter, 20KVA flooded cells (12 x 2v = 24v)

Re: MATE 3 doesn't show anything happening on my inverter

Postby Greg T Fordan on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 am

You can never get a running status when you hover your mouse on the generator icon, if you set your AGS status to Disabled. As for the last run of 12/13/1901 I am not sure what is causing that. Your MATE3 FW 3.15.5 is the latest released version and there should be no issues with that as far as AGS. I suggest you reset your MATE3, or even better reset to Factory default. Lock/141/Settings/MATE3/Reset to Factory Default. Then Lock/Settings/MATE3/Advanced Generator Start/Set-up/AGS Enabled/Y.
Attachments
ags_disabled.JPG
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Postby Greg T Fordan on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am

Another thing that I forgot to mention, in order for the start and stop and run status to show up when you hover your mouse to the generator icon, your generator must be wired to be started by the the inverter via its AUX port. I see that it says in your setting it is in port 1, good. The question is, is it really wired to start the generator via the 12VDC output of that port?
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Postby Graham Horn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:47 am

Thank you Greg, I'm not using the inverter to start the generator for a number of reasons. Ok, so now I have the explanation for that, although I thought it might have something to do with the inverter never showing what it's delivering. Holding the mouse over the inverter shows it is inverting, but 0W to the Load and that never changes. On the inverter status tab, you can see the AC output voltage, battery voltage, but not the current or KVA it's delivering. The inverter firmware version is 61.0.0 and as I said, when I first connected the Mate 3 I saw something that said it was back level. How can I verify that it is back level and if so, can it be updated?

Looking at my MX60 on OPTICSRE, I only have a Status tab and everything there looks as expected. What I also would have expected was a settings tab to set up the MX60, but there is no such tab. Is that correct?

There are a few other things that don't add up. for example, looking at the readings right now, I have had 1.2kWh from solar and 1.35kWh going to the battery. Something is out of calibration there. Again, the "To Load" value is zero which is wrong.

Thanks again.
Graham Horn
Graham Horn
Forum Member

My RE system: Mate 3, MX60, Flexnet DC, VFX3024E Inverter, 20KVA flooded cells (12 x 2v = 24v)

Postby Mike Curran on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:23 am

Graham Horn wrote:Looking at my MX60 on OPTICSRE, I only have a Status tab and everything there looks as expected. What I also would have expected was a settings tab to set up the MX60, but there is no such tab. Is that correct?

Yes, you cannot set up the MX60 from Optics, must be done on the MX local keypad/display.

I don't think you can update FX model inverters' firmware in the field, don't know what latest fw version is. Other questions, can't answer. - Mike
Mike Curran
Forum Czar

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Return to Mate