Mate glitched

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Mate glitched

Postby Poocifer on Sun May 28, 2017 12:44 pm

A few days ago my generator started as it should have due to my AGS settings. Problem is that it only ran about five minutes then shut down. When Iwent out to check on it I noticed that the Mate was still reading 23.4v which is my set point while the mx60 was reading 23.8v. I left the system for a few hours with full sun on the solar panels and found that the voltage on the mx had climbed but the Mate remained at 23.4v.

I disconnected the Mate for a few seconds and reconnected it and it began reading the same voltage as the mx. The problem now is that before this the panels would provide up to 29v on a sunny day yet now only hit 26v at best. The mx is also playing a little digital tune once in a while.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Poocifer

Re: Mate glitched

Postby klundquist on Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 am

The digital noise you noted from the MX is typically caused when the PV array voltage is close to the battery voltage. Hot temperatures cause PV voltage to drop. What is the open circuit (Voc) and max power (Vmp) ratings for your PV modules? How many do you have wired in series?

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby Poocifer on Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 am

We have 6 115 watt panels made by Evergreen solar. Not sure on the other specs. Where would I find them? I didnt put the system together it came with the house. The mx60 is reading that the pv is at 29v but the batteries dont even come up past 26 since the glitch.

Thanks for quick reply.
Poocifer

Postby klundquist on Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 am

Hi Poocifer,

The specs should be on a label that is on the back of the PV module. If your system is roof mounted you probably will not be able to see the label.

Do you know if you have a PV combiner box? The wires from the PV array typically go to a combiner that has fuses or breakers for the parallel PV strings.

The MX60 can tell you some info about the array. Press the far left button under the MX60 screen then go into the LOG2 menu. What does it say for Voc? If you press NEXT from there you should be able to see High and Low battery voltage. Post the numbers here when you have a chance.

My guess is the PV array would benefit from having more modules in series. If you do not know the last time the array was serviced it would probably be a good idea to have a local PV pro come by to check it out.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

Postby Poocifer on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 pm

So sorry for the delayed response. Life sucks some times lol.

6 panels
Panels read: Pp 115
VP 17.1
IP 6.73
VOC 21.3
ISC 7.62

The MX in Log2 reads 35.4 VOC PKBATV 25.3 HI VOC 74.0

It just seems like the system isn't using the solar power well at all since the mate sorta glitched out.
Poocifer

Postby klundquist on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:47 am

I suggest you do a test by removing the MX60 from the OutBack Hub (assuming you have a Hub and an OutBack Inverter). This will isolate the MX60 from the system communications so you can test your theory about the Mate causing problems with the MX harvest. If the Mate is plugged directly into the MX then unplug the Mate from the MX and plan on running AGS manually.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

Return to Mate