Mate Plus Hub4

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Mate Plus Hub4

Postby mhtmr on Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I plan on buying a Hub4 to communicate with my MX60 whose "soft" buttons only respond after an hour of messing around and spraying them with contact cleaner.
I ran through the CC menu on the mate to see what's available in terms of controlling the MX60. I found almost everything I would need including the setpoints which are really the most important items (e.g., the logging functions are not that important to me). However, although I will be able to set the EQ parameters, it doesn't appear to be able to actually initiate an EQ cycle from the Mate. Maybe because I'm not actually communicating with the MX60, some menu items don't appear? It's not a show stopper since I could just set the Absorb for the EQ voltage for any length of time, but would be more convenient to do it through an EQ menu option.

Thanks,

Marty
Xcalak Mexico
mhtmr

Re: Mate Plus Hub4

Postby Mike Curran on Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Marty - I'm pretty sure that you cannot program your MX60 with your Mate. Must be done using the MX60 soft keys. Adding a HUB will not change this.

Only the Flexmax series of charge controllers are capable of remote programming.

- Mike
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby mhtmr on Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi Mike,
An Outback installer (fairly experienced) in my area had told me that the Mate can communicate directly with the Flexmax series but the MX60 requires the Hub4 as an interface. She may be wrong and I would certainly like to verify this before I spend the money on the Hub4. The manuals for the Mate and Hub4 are somewhat vague but the Hub4 refers to connecting "Outback charge controllers" without specifying the FlexMax as the only option.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Marty
mhtmr

Postby Mike Curran on Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am

Marty- Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8603

The 3rd or fourth post from the end comes from OB Tech support regarding programming capability of the MX60 through a Mate3. I believe it also applies using a Mate: "The MX60 programming changes (battery charging voltages) can only be done directly on the unit, the MATE3 is compatible and will see the MX60, it should display as “CC” and will report the production numbers."

In other words the Mate (3) will display actual MX60 production data but you can only program the MX60 through its own soft keys.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby blackswan555 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm

May also be useful, it is about mate but applies to MX etc viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8303&hilit=clean+buttons

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby mhtmr on Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks for all the replies. And you guys are right, tech support confirmed I can only see the setpoints on the MX60, even using the Hub4, not change them. I have sprayed those contacts so much (from below with the cover removed) I really doubt they can be cleaned enough to put them back in operation. We'll see...

Thanks again. At least I won't buy a Hub4 that won't solve the problem.

Marty
mhtmr

Postby blackswan555 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 pm

I have sprayed those contacts so much (from below with the cover removed) I really doubt they can be cleaned enough to put them back in operation. We'll see...
You have to take it apart and physically clean touch`pad and conductive back of buttons, Very unlikely to "get it" with just the spray,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby blackswan555 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 pm

I have sprayed those contacts so much (from below with the cover removed) I really doubt they can be cleaned enough to put them back in operation. We'll see...
You have to take it apart and physically clean touch`pad and conductive back of buttons, Very unlikely to "get it" with just the spray,

Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Return to Mate