Initial set-up

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

Initial set-up

Postby Grizzly on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am

Okay - I'm a newbie - just got my Outback System and have it all wired but haven't put the power to it yet. I have read and re-read instructions and am a bit overwhelmed. I knew having a solar system would require periodic maintenance and monitoring, but this really is more than I expected. I have the FLEXpower One with Flexnet Monitor and GFDI - 48 volt system. The installation manual indicates that one must set the basic parameters for the system to operate correctly. At this point I am worried about even hooking up the batteries and PV because I am not sure what may be already set up by default at the factory and what I MUST set up myself so as not to have the system malfunction. And I have to admit I don't use all the functions on my cell phone - it just seems more hassle then it is worth. Setting this system up reminds me of that - press hot key to get here - press soft key to enter here. Damn - looks to me like a person would need a semester of computer training to understand this system well. I am worried I could short the whole damned thing out and destroy my entire investment. Does outback have a Powerpoint on-line or other training video for dummies? It would be helpful for us newbie ignorant starters. Oh by the way - I have been living without electricity for 11 years. Live in remote mountain location and grid was just not a reasonable option. I don't think I will know how to act with electricity. It has been so long - I forgot what it is like being able to switch a switch and amazingly there is light. :smile:
Grizzly

My RE system: FLEXpower ONE VFX3648 - FLEXnet DC monitor and GFDI - FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller. - 8 - 6 volt Trojan 225ah.

Re: Initial set-up

Postby tallgirl on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:17 pm

The FP-1 has a single inverter, so most of the "shorting out" problems aren't all that horrible.

How much basic electric skills do you have? That's probably a good first question. A good second question is do you have cell phone reception where you are?
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby Grizzly on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Well - lets say I am not an electrician - I can do basic wiring (switches, outlets, breaker box/service panel etc.). I have carefully wired up the system following the manual. I am fairly confident I did it correctly, and I am currently looking to find someone with some electrical experience (in solar) to come and take a look at the wiring before I hook up the PV and batteries. I purchased a pre-wired system from Outback (a distributor actually) - so most of the crucial component items were already wired. I have only to hook up the PV panels to the combiner box, wiring from the combiner box to the system, the service panel, the grounds, and the batteries to the system of course. I think I am more concerned about learning how to set-up and monitor the system once it is up and running. There are set-up instructions for setting the inverter, charge settings, setting the flexnet charge controller etc., that I am not familiar with at all. Then there is all the other stuff in the systems controller and inverter/charger programing manual. Maybe I am making more of this than need be, but it is all foreign to me - like reading a different language . There are some things in the set up that appear very important, like setting the battery amp-hour settings, and setting charging parameters. I don't know how much of this might have been preset by the factory and how much I need to do at initial set-up. I guess there is also the ongoing systems checks.....or what I need to know to be sure the system is functioning properly on an ongoing basis.

I do have cell phone reception.......well at least 60 percent of the time - LOL - depends on the weather. Not sure what that has to do with setting up my system though. :?:
Grizzly

My RE system: FLEXpower ONE VFX3648 - FLEXnet DC monitor and GFDI - FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller. - 8 - 6 volt Trojan 225ah.

Postby Jamie on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:05 am

G'day,

I posted a spread sheet some time back it may help you.
http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5010
2nd post tonight with the same answer, so the link was still in my clip board.
Good luck, a lot of us know what your going through, or about too.

Cheers.
Jamie
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 12 x 165W BP panels, MX80, VFX3048, 24 x Raylite MTL25F batteries, 200w wind turbine, Hub4, Mate, 3.8kva petrol generator

Postby Grizzly on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Jamie - only thing is I am on a mac that a word document won't load so I can read it. I will keep studying and I am thinking some of this may become clearer once I get the system up and running. I will also check with tech support at Outback. Thanks.
Grizzly

Return to Website & Forum