Newbie inverter stacking questions.

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

Newbie inverter stacking questions.

Postby Charles D on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Was not sure where to post this since it concerns both Grid tied and Off grid...

The goal is to be grid tied with battery backup to handle "temporary" large loads at night (two oxygen concentrators) so I do not have to have a huge battery bank. Then later (maybe a year or two) go fully off grid. I will also like to be able to use wind power along with the PV panels and generator if needed occasionally (when off grid).

Obviously for grid tie ability with OB inverters I will need at least one that is capable of that.

The question is, can I stack inverters that are not identical?

For when I am grid tied have a GTFX3048 as master and a FX3048T as slave. Then when off grid switch them.

Or is this just a silly idea, if I went with two matching grid tie inverters will they function just as well "off grid" when I get to that point? What are my options here?

It seems that most inverters are pretty much set up for one or the other and there are only a few that are even capable of battery backup with grid tie. So maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

We will be starting the system from scratch so I am open to ideas or opinions on how to best do this.
Charles D

Re: Newbie inverter stacking questions.

Postby tallgirl on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

If you go with grid-tied inverters you have to use a generator that is compatible with them, and that's a pretty limited choice.

As for mixing inverters, you can't mix grid-interactive (G-series) with the off-grid inverters.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Re: Newbie inverter stacking questions.

Postby Charles D on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:32 am

tallgirl wrote:As for mixing inverters, you can't mix grid-interactive (G-series) with the off-grid inverters.

Ok, that is the main thing I wanted to know. As far as the grid tied ones being picky about the genset, I think I can deal with that. It sounds like that will be my only option if I want start as grid tied and then go fully off grid later.

Will OB improve this on future G-series (the picky gen thing) or do they see it as a non issue for its intended market?

Just to clear this up in my head. To stack OB inverters do they have to be the same model (I assume)? Or just the same series?

Would there be any other limitations for off grid with G-series that would be different with the FX?

Thanks for the help, being able to interact and get info like this is a huge plus for OB in my book :)
Charles D

Return to Website & Forum