placing solar panels on almost flat ribbed metal roof

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

placing solar panels on almost flat ribbed metal roof

Postby dgassett on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I would like to place solar panels on a almost flat ribbed metal roof. Compared to the correct angle for the DFW TX. , area which I think is about 30 degrees, how much power loss will there be? Thanks Doug
dgassett

My RE system: 1 ea. Outback GTFX 2524 , 1 ea. 175 amp dc breaker
18 ea. Schott 230 solar panels. 4 deep cycle batteries and grid- tied to REA with 60 amp ac breaker.

Re: placing solar panels on almost flat ribbed metal roof

Postby tallgirl on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm

It's the cosine of the amount that you're off by, more or less. In your case, you might be off by 10% or so.

HOWEVER, you'll gain at a time of year where when your electric consumption will be higher, so it tends towards evening out the electric bill more than if you go with 32* or 33* inclination.

My roof is 26* and I see a really nice pop in April and May.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby Jamie on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 am

With the 10% loss you also need to factor loss due to crud build-up on the panels if you put them almost flat.
My panels are at 40deg for optimum winter sun and near gravel roads – lots of dust. Last summer I went on the roof a few times to do the job but it was not really required, I think the dust slides off.
Regards
Jamie.
Jamie
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 12 x 165W BP panels, MX80, VFX3048, 24 x Raylite MTL25F batteries, 200w wind turbine, Hub4, Mate, 3.8kva petrol generator

Postby tallgirl on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm

Jamie wrote:With the 10% loss you also need to factor loss due to crud build-up on the panels if you put them almost flat.
My panels are at 40deg for optimum winter sun and near gravel roads – lots of dust. Last summer I went on the roof a few times to do the job but it was not really required, I think the dust slides off.
Regards
Jamie.

Dust is mostly washed off by rain, which Dallas actually gets sometimes :wink:

The bigger problem with "flat" is very poor winter performance, but Dallas has plenty hot summers and A/C load support can be invaluable.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to Website & Forum