Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message
Moderators: administrator, OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team
I have a Windmax H12, 1kw, 24v, 5 blade wind turbine and want to know if a 11 blade rotor of about the same diameter will increase the turbines speed? The turbine is rated at 28mph 1kw. If I could bring the mph fill load requirement down that would help produce more power to the Outback. Thanks Doug Gassett email@example.com
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 am
- My RE system: 1 ea. Outback GTFX 2524 , 1 ea. 175 amp dc breaker
18 ea. Schott 230 solar panels. 4 deep cycle batteries and grid- tied to REA with 60 amp ac breaker.
There is only so much energy available in wind. That's the bad news. The good news is that A = pi x r ^ 2, so doubling the swept area doesn't require but a 40% larger rotor. That might be a better solution to light winds.
- OutBack Emperor
- Posts: 4316
- Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 am
- Location: Austin, TX
- My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.
If you have light winds for an average you may want to investigate and upgrade to a larger unit with more swept area for greater power production in your average winds.
The increase in blades from 5-10 will make more drag in lower air speed and less power.
Less blades will turn faster and make more power.....such as two.........but they tend to chop the air when yawing and in turbulent winds and 3 blades have become the norm.
- OutBack Expert
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:20 am
- Location: Black Mountain, North Carolina @ 3,224' elevation.....wide open solar/wind site on a ridge top.
- My RE system: 6 Kyocera 205 watt modules-2 in series (6 more to add) @ 53.2 vdc with FlexMax 80 , 12 Solarex MSX64 modules -3 in series @36 vdc nominal with MX60, 3 Flexware PV-8 Combiner Boxes, Whisper 200 24 VDC Wind Generator, Air X 24 VDC Wind generator, 2 VFX3524 inverters Outback Parallel Stacked, RTS Sensor, Flexware-500 Wall Mounting Plate, Flexware AC-DC 500 breaker enclosures, UL listed sub panel for AFCI and GFCI breakers, FW-ACA & DCA Enclosures, Flexware AC-DC Surge Protector= FW-SP-ACA, Mate 2, Hub 4, 2 FW-SBUS Shunt Extenders, FW-BBUS, TM500A meter, Hup Solar One Batteries 24 volt @ 1,250 Amp/Hrs., Made my own battery cables from Ancor Marine 4/0 Superconductor Cable, Hydro Caps, Zephyr Battery Room Power Vent with Yandina Fan/Vent Control.
Genny Dee Cee 24 VDC propane generator
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather station
Return to Website & Forum
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests