we have a 48 volt system

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

we have a 48 volt system

Postby mountaingal3 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 am

Hi we run all energy star products no coffee pots everything has surge protecters and it is almost noon and still have generator on we have 12 solar panels 2 out b ack inverters and 16 batteries I dont know the system to well but during the day batteries are charging at night it drops off and in morning no solar what do we need to do?

frustrated Laurie I feel like I am riding a horse with 3 legs ](*,)
mountaingal3

My RE system: outback 48 volt system off grid

Re: we have a 48 volt system

Postby tallgirl on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 pm

We need values from the charge controllers -- volts and amps in, volts and amps out. If you have a FLEXnet DC, total amp-hours in and out, plus State of Charge, if configured.

We needs your numbers! Give us lots of numbers ;)
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Re: we have a 48 volt system

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Numbers , I need numbers !!! lol :grin: the more the better,
But as a starting guess, you are using more than your panels are providing, hence your gen is running to make up for it, the answer to that is more panels or cut your consumption, Cutting your consumption being the first ( and easiest/ cheapest)
The first step towards doing that is to know what you are using and for how long, So here comes the numbers bit :grin:

What we need to know on the load side,
daily loads and for how long they are used, the best way to find that is to look at the "rating plate/stamp" on each appliance X how long it is used per day, EG kettle, 230v 10 a / 2300w , used for approx 6 mins a time, 10 times per day = 1hr X 2300w = 2.3kwh per day, please include everything you can think of, down to phone chargers, modems and heating pumps, If you can not find the plate, list the item anyway, we can estimate.

And on the Solar side
What size ( in watts or volts & amps) or model your panels are, What part of the world you are in ? what size / type are you batteries ? ( and if applicable, their service history )
Give us enough numbers from the above and we should be able to figure if it is you or your system at fault :grin:
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Website & Forum