Battery location for Off grid Outback system

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

Battery location for Off grid Outback system

Postby crchemguy on Sat May 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Hello,
I have been gradually collecting the various pieces and will start putting together my Outback system soon. The power is for a barn/shop in coastal, northern California. My initial question is off topic with specific reference to Outback products, but I am hopeful this forum will be helpful here and in the future.

My first question...I have four of the larger size 6 volt batteries (equivalent to the Trojan L-16) for my system. My concern is hydrogen venting. I am retired chemistry prof, so I know about hydrogen generation when charging, its density, and battery voltage vs. temperature. Key question, would forum members recommend the batteries inside or outside. I have made a nice plywood box for them, and it is currently vented in a way to allow the hydrogen to escape from the top with fresh air in the bottom. I have a covered area outside, and it would handy to be able to wash things down outside, etc. By it being a barn/shop, my interior temp isn't a lot different than outside, and the climate is mild in terms of essentially never freezing temps. Some calculations indicate negligible hydrogen from these batteries. However, I read in one place about someone that had an explosion when I grinder spark found its way to the battery box.

Any suggestions appreciated. Take care,
Max
crchemguy

My RE system: VFX3524
Flexmax80
MATE
Flexware500

Re: Battery location for Off grid Outback system

Postby blackswan555 on Sun May 30, 2010 2:43 am

If there is not much temp difference and they are out of direct sun, It pretty much just comes down to having to use a larger cable size to combat voltage drop, Another way to deal with it if inside Is add a vent fan, Then use a spare Aux to switch it at gassing voltage,
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: Battery location for Off grid Outback system

Postby tallgirl on Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 am

And make sure the vent fan goes OUTSIDE.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to Website & Forum