Mate replacement booby traps... Any others?

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

Mate replacement booby traps... Any others?

Postby bushman on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 am

Again, if covered elsewhere apologies, but aim here is to contribute to ongoing improvement for customers...
I have just received a Mate upgrade -(from Rev 3.3 to Rev 4.16- if more info needed tell me...).
First - power summary screen - HURRAY! AT LAST... Great to have kilowatts instead of symbols (the symbols didn't even summarise both inverters, you had to double, knowing what each light bulb stood for - 0.5 kW? )
Second - I falsely expected to have to redo all my settings when I switched Mates, but having checked everything - including all items (I thought) in the AGS settings, I went ahead - generator was already running. All seemed fine...
Time came for generator to stop - IT DIDN'T. Took me some time to figure out why-
A NEW MATE DOES NOT PICK UP THE AGS SETUP settings for AGS control. Consequently it was still set to NO, and was ignoring all the other settings.
CAN I ASK OUTBACK (Customer Feedback again!!) to modify the (new and already improved) Mate Manual in :
1. Clearly state what settings are held in the Mate, what in the inverter. I can't find it.
2. When sending a Mate replacement, HIGHLIGHT this, especially AGS control setup...
Thanks (this is my precious time taken to give this!...)
bushman
OutBack Expert

My RE system: 1800 Ah naval battery bank, consisting of 2 sets of 12 x 2V 900 Ah capacity lead acid unsealed cells for 24V inverter with 3kW output. Now added (June2008) 2nd inverter. Aim is to use and charge whole bank in half the time instead half the bank with one inverter. 7.5 kW diesel generator. AC side (being UK) is 240V (or 230).
LATEST UPDATE: Had a major lightning storm in July 09. Window and door handles glowing and sparking, generator was running (so charging batteries). 4 or 5 lightning bangs, then massive explosion from gen shed .... 12 out 24 900 Amp 2V cells with lids blown to kingdom come. Have now got 12 X 2V Rolls 5000 2-YS-31P cells. Wondering if Faraday cage would prevent this explosive problem in future... Will post to ask for ideas.

Re: Mate replacement booby traps... Any others?

Postby tallgirl on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 am

The AGS settings are covered on page 74 of the manual.

The problem with manuals is that after they become more than 10 or 15 pages long they are ignored. The Mate manual is 132 pages long (4.1.4 version).
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to Website & Forum