MX60 and battery optimization

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

MX60 and battery optimization

Postby seahunterinca on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello sunseekers,
I'm trying to optomize my system and seem to be having some problems.
The system:
*16 - Sanyo HIP-205BA3's in 8 strings with 130V at each combiner box breaker.
*GTFX3648x2 (older version of the Flex500) with 1 MX60 and Mate.
* 8 - Sun Xtender PVX-2580L Solar batteries (2 strings of 12vdc wired as 48 then combined with common jumpers)
* Has been in operation for 2 years.
* Currently it is producing 8.9KW or 180AmpH per day.
The system is gridtied normaly but I've taken it off grid and removed all external loads as I'm having issues with my utility and the amount of "sell".
I reset the MX60 and checked all of the set points.
I turned the "sell" off but not the IEEE or grid tie
Here's the problem:
While on gridtie the battery bank voltage remained fairly steady at 57.8 vdc, now off grid 50-52 vdc. While connected the two strings from the PV array show 130vdc at the GTFX on one line and the other fluxuates (as it's supposed to do) but usually remains between 98 and 104vdc while on MPPT, 114-115vdc on sweep. All seems to be working and with over 8KW I feel the batteries should fill properly but are not. When re-connected to the grid (all load off except MX60) batteries go back to their normal charged state. it appears that the MX60 prefers the grid to charge. Am I missing something?
Thanks
seahunterinca

My RE system: 7.2KW GTFX Gridtie/Backup with 16 HIPs and 8 Sun xtenders

Re: MX60 and battery optimization

Postby seahunterinca on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:45 pm

I think I found the answer...
reset the Park Mpp (% Voc) to 85% and reset the MPP Range Limit % Voc to FUl and 99% in nonGT mode, then reset the sweep interval to 10min.
The battery voltage started moving up right away even when I added the load back onto the system. Any thoughts?
seahunterinca

Postby seahunterinca on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 pm

After a year and a half of on and off the phone with support and the supplier trying to figure this out; including replacing the relay board which was burned out, today I double checked all the wiring internal to my PS2AC/DC and found the unit was wired incorrectly from the supplier. After correcting the wiring to the MX60 I tripled my wattage output. I had assumed (wrongly) that the unit was "ready to go" and had been assembled by people who knew what they were doing. By my calculations it has cost me about $1500.00 in lost energy savings over the last 2 years. Lesson learned: trust no one and double check everything!
seahunterinca

Postby Malasombra on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 am

Wow ,congrats you found that bug.
Can you post a photo marking the "gap"?
Malasombra

Postby bluueyee on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:20 am

Hey
Many of us are excited by the fact that the MX60 will accept a 72 volt nominal array, giving us a nice margin of flexibility for the placement of our solar modules...but did you know that cold temperatures affect whether or not you will be able to utilize this feature at your particular location? It's a complex calculation based on the VOC of the type of modules you anticipate using, the typical low temperatures you see (particularly at sunrise) and the nominal array voltage you wish to use for your system. Usually the higher array voltage the better because, you utilize smaller wire, and because the MX60 likes a higher input vs. output voltage. Like a 48 volt array and a 24 volt battery bank, or a 72 volt array and a 48 volt battery bank.
bluueyee

Postby ralphday on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:01 am

I am in that boat...72 volt stringing would put my Vmax at about 150 in winter. Over the 140 max and into the magic smoke releasing never exceed area.

Ralph
ralphday
OutBack Expert

Return to Website & Forum