Classified--posting of items wanted or for sale

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team

Classified--posting of items wanted or for sale

Postby mgtd on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 pm

New to this board, have a system that includes FX3048, MX-60, Mate. Been lurking and reading and haven't noticed a "classified" section. Was wondering if this board provides any provisions to advertise items for sale or wanted items. Seems like everybody must have excess RE equipment and parts, as most systems are growing/expanding all the time. Thanks in advnce, mgtd
mgtd

My RE system: FX3048T, MX60, MATE, 1700w Solar Panels, Tri-metric battery monitor, Xantrex C-40 diversion controller, 10' Otherpower homebuilt wind turbine on 103' tower, 660 amp hour FLA- 48 volt battery bank, alternate 840 amp hour SLA 48 volt battery bank.

Re: Classified--posting of items wanted or for sale

Postby Sunkeeper on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 am

mgtd wrote:New to this board, have a system that includes FX3048, MX-60, Mate. Been lurking and reading and haven't noticed a "classified" section. Was wondering if this board provides any provisions to advertise items for sale or wanted items.
Seems like everybody must have excess RE equipment and parts, as most systems are growing/expanding all the time. Thanks in advance, mgtd

Bump.........sounds like a good idea to me... =D> ...I want to sell my MX60 and get a FM60! lol...... :grin:
Hello from Western North Carolina~!!!~
Sunkeeper
OutBack Expert

Location: Black Mountain, North Carolina @ 3,224' elevation.....wide open solar/wind site on a ridge top.
My RE system: 6 Kyocera 205 watt modules-2 in series (6 more to add) @ 53.2 vdc with FlexMax 80 , 12 Solarex MSX64 modules -3 in series @36 vdc nominal with MX60, 3 Flexware PV-8 Combiner Boxes, Whisper 200 24 VDC Wind Generator, Air X 24 VDC Wind generator, 2 VFX3524 inverters Outback Parallel Stacked, RTS Sensor, Flexware-500 Wall Mounting Plate, Flexware AC-DC 500 breaker enclosures, UL listed sub panel for AFCI and GFCI breakers, FW-ACA & DCA Enclosures, Flexware AC-DC Surge Protector= FW-SP-ACA, Mate 2, Hub 4, 2 FW-SBUS Shunt Extenders, FW-BBUS, TM500A meter, Hup Solar One Batteries 24 volt @ 1,250 Amp/Hrs., Made my own battery cables from Ancor Marine 4/0 Superconductor Cable, Hydro Caps, Zephyr Battery Room Power Vent with Yandina Fan/Vent Control.
Genny Dee Cee 24 VDC propane generator
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather station

Postby tallgirl on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Someone from OutBack is going to come along shortly and say that you can't post OutBack equipment for sale.

This is another old thread, from back in 2009. A lot of these older issues have been discussed or resolved over the years ...
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby Sunkeeper on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:34 pm

tallgirl wrote:Someone from OutBack is going to come along shortly and say that you can't post OutBack equipment for sale.

This is another old thread, from back in 2009. A lot of these older issues have been discussed or resolved over the years ...

I contacted the administrator via pm about selling any and all "used gear" weeks ago and didn't get a reply.
I was not aware about any past issues or that 2009 was "Old" !.....lol Where's the other threads?......I love to dig....My apologies!... #-o

Hello Outback........please upgrade my MX60 to a FM60 and I'll be glad to keep it~!!!~....... :grin:
Sunkeeper
OutBack Expert

Location: Black Mountain, North Carolina @ 3,224' elevation.....wide open solar/wind site on a ridge top.
My RE system: 6 Kyocera 205 watt modules-2 in series (6 more to add) @ 53.2 vdc with FlexMax 80 , 12 Solarex MSX64 modules -3 in series @36 vdc nominal with MX60, 3 Flexware PV-8 Combiner Boxes, Whisper 200 24 VDC Wind Generator, Air X 24 VDC Wind generator, 2 VFX3524 inverters Outback Parallel Stacked, RTS Sensor, Flexware-500 Wall Mounting Plate, Flexware AC-DC 500 breaker enclosures, UL listed sub panel for AFCI and GFCI breakers, FW-ACA & DCA Enclosures, Flexware AC-DC Surge Protector= FW-SP-ACA, Mate 2, Hub 4, 2 FW-SBUS Shunt Extenders, FW-BBUS, TM500A meter, Hup Solar One Batteries 24 volt @ 1,250 Amp/Hrs., Made my own battery cables from Ancor Marine 4/0 Superconductor Cable, Hydro Caps, Zephyr Battery Room Power Vent with Yandina Fan/Vent Control.

Postby tallgirl on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:45 am

Well ... I'm not convinced the FM-60 is enough of an "upgrade" from the MX-60 to get a new one. I'll probably pick up an FM-60 or FM-80 whenever I start working on the east/west arrays -- neighbor's tree is really getting in the way of the south-facing array. But the MX-60 I have will be kept on because it keeps on keeping on.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby Sunkeeper on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:08 pm

I see the MX side by side with the FM everyday.. it's sloooow..not continuous MPPT..and sweeps waaay too much..IMHO..:cry: ..argh!
However it does keep on cranking out the watts... :grin: ...how many less is the question? Periodic MPPT verses Continuous MPPT.
I'm trying some new settings to speed up the MX.........will post a thread and see if anyone as the settings optimized...........hopefully you will!

Hello Outback please allow FM upgrades to the MX soon! :idea:
Sunkeeper
OutBack Expert

Postby sparky on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 am

I am with you sunkeeper! The MX 60 is ok for what it is and was great in 2004. All you have to do is try an FM series and you would have to be drinking heavily to not "see the light" Come out of the darkness tallgirl! The mppt-60 from X and Apollo's 200voc CC forced quite a few people to open ther eyes!
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Location: Sierra Mountains near Mariposa Ca. Webpage on next line
My RE system: OFFGRID SOLAR "we go where power lines don't" Design, consulting, and installation on 66 Offgrid homes.

Postby tallgirl on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 am

Y'all forget that I monitor clients who have FM-60s and FM-80s and the increase in output really isn't that great. I routinely see 100% of expected output, and that's "real" output, not "rounding error" output.

My MX-60 is connected to a 2800 watt Kyocera array. I have temperature and current sensors that monitor just about everything worth monitoring, and plus or minus amounts not even worth discussing, it produces just about exactly what all 2800 watts is supposed to produce. With the exception of shading problems, there's absolutely no financial reason to change charge controllers. The only thing I plan to do is reconfigure the array so that the part of the array that comes out of the morning shade first is one string, and that's all.

Really -- wait until it's about 1pm here (I'm 97 degrees west, so we get solar noon a little late relative to Central time) and watch this page --

http://julie-world.mooo.com:8080/?port=3&array=y

As soon as the sun finishes getting around one last tree, the "% Expected" value will go very close to 100% and =stay= very close to 100%, ignoring clouds. The value when I looked just now was 78%, and that's because one string is still mostly shaded. When that string comes out of the shade, that number =will= go up. I even have a cell with a fairly large pigeon present on it, and it doesn't make nearly the difference everyone claims it does (which agrees with the research -- panel soiling is not an immediate crisis).
Julie in Texas

tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

Postby halfcrazy on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 am

In my extensive testing the FM is not an upgrade from the MX it is at best a step sideways. First thing first do not trust the displays on the charge controllers monitor them with a shunt or some source you will see what I mean most CC on the market are a little generous on there display. If you have a MX now do not take a loss and sell it to buy an FM you will never see a return on your investment. A lot can be done with the MX to alter the sweep times etc to make it a real performer.
Magnum MS4448AE on Midnite Epanel, 800 ah of batteries, FM-60,2 Midnite Classic cc's one wind one solar, 1785 watts of panels and 10 ft Wind turbine off grid for 5 years
halfcrazy
OutBack Guru

Postby tallgirl on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:50 am

HC,

That's been my experience as well -- a properly configured MX-60 can perform just as well as anything else on the market.

I will add one comment to your "use a shunt" and that is, if you're serious about side-by-side comparisons, get something that can measure the actual array temperature. The temperature compensation on my array in a typical late summer day is about 8 to 10 percent. My array is currently 41*C and that's 6% of a correction -- and it's a cool day today with the outdoor temp 22*C. A small difference in wind or convection cooling can easily eat up all the difference between products, which is typically only 2 or 3 percent of the total.
Julie in Texas

tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

Postby Sunkeeper on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:49 am

halfcrazy wrote:In my extensive testing the FM is not an upgrade from the MX it is at best a step sideways.

First thing first do not trust the displays on the charge controllers monitor them with a shunt or some source you will see what I mean most CC on the market are a little generous on there display.

If you have a MX now do not take a loss and sell it to buy an FM you will never see a return on your investment.

A lot can be done with the MX to alter the sweep times etc to make it a real performer.

Have you tested an FM and MX side by side or with two separate arrays to confirm the output difference?

I know the displays aren't the main feature and I have adjusted the sweep and other settings to help speed up the dino MX.

I also agree there would prob. be a long time before payback to justify getting a FM60.

It seems there is a huge difference between the MX and FM or the upgrade wouldn't be impossible to get?....meaning hardware and software.

I'm watching the new setting performance on the MX60 before I make further claims! lol
Sunkeeper
OutBack Expert

Postby halfcrazy on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm

I have tested them side by side and will say only that you will not get a return on your investment by buying a new FM60. The real issue with an upgrade is it is all new stuff inside even the fan so really there is no good way for outback to do this. But if you really have your heart set on an FM60 I may be interested in the MX60 pm me with the specifics on it age and usage etc and what you want for it
Magnum MS4448AE on Midnite Epanel, 800 ah of batteries, FM-60,2 Midnite Classic cc's one wind one solar, 1785 watts of panels and 10 ft Wind turbine off grid for 5 years
halfcrazy
OutBack Guru

Postby sparky on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 pm

I have a MX-60 unused, spare for customers, current firmware that was another beta just before Outback finally realized there was no hope for the sweep problems. Hence FM series. You know, sweeping with no power going into the battery. They called it a sanity check... I'll ship it for $400. Like I said it was a great unit in 2004.
sparky
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: OFFGRID SOLAR "we go where power lines don't" Design, consulting, and installation on 66 Offgrid homes.

Postby tallgirl on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Sparky,

I don't know when you see "sweeping with no power going into the batteries" other than a few times a day, but I don't. What I see is a 1 to 2 percent reduction in output power for several seconds every few minutes. The rest of the time -- 11:35:04 today -- it's within a small number of percent of what the module vendor (Kyocera), the sun's position in the sky, and a thermometer say it is supposed to be.

The only time there is a "sweep with no power" is the every 90 minute "full sweep" and that lasts a minute and results in a 40% decline in power over the course of that one minute. As a total percentage, that's 40% / 90 or 0.45% of the total output. Taken as a whole, the MX-60 produces about 99.4% of what it should.
Julie in Texas

tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

Postby Sunkeeper on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 pm

I have decided to start a new thread on the MX verses FM features...to get things back on topic here...[-X feel free to join ALL!.... :grin:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4749&p=29118#p29118

Respectfully,
Sunkeeper...........Image
Sunkeeper
OutBack Expert

Postby sparky on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 pm

tallgirl wrote:Sparky,

I don't know when you see "sweeping with no power going into the batteries" other than a few times a day, but I don't. What I see is a 1 to 2 percent reduction in output power for several seconds every few minutes. The rest of the time -- 11:35:04 today -- it's within a small number of percent of what the module vendor (Kyocera), the sun's position in the sky, and a thermometer say it is supposed to be.

The only time there is a "sweep with no power" is the every 90 minute "full sweep" and that lasts a minute and results in a 40% decline in power over the course of that one minute. As a total percentage, that's 40% / 90 or 0.45% of the total output. Taken as a whole, the MX-60 produces about 99.4% of what it should.

Charge controller's have not been doing this for over three years now Julie ! All those tweeks and just nonsense for nerds settings have been eliminated. The morningstar,apollo, & xantrex sweep every second or 2 and never interupt power. Even the FM which is just the finally fixed with flaws MX is way beyond the MX.

We are not even talking yet about efficiency. I had so many problems with the mx and my clients that it was just so nice when the current crop of CC's started behaving like the old days when a CC was a very simple and robust piece of gear. I would not want to do a search of this forum on the mx failures. I am glad outback made the FM and hope they strive to build gear that my users can't goof up and call me. Outback was great with the failures I must say! I just do not have time for all those tweeks anymore and maybe I will specify their gear again when I see that it has changed. I can only hope the new company can invest and be state of the art, like they were!
Just my humble opinion!
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Postby Vic on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:21 am

To continue the derailment of this thread ..

Dave-sparky,

I guess that you do not have your MX-60 correctly. My MX delivers an awful LOT of power while sweeping. Perhaps your panels are defective or your settings are (were) out of whack).

Know that you have been very high on the X CC which is so buggy and dumbed-down so as to be almost useless. My X CC says that it is in Asorb, when it is really still in Bulk ... must be marketing. It lack 80 % of th flexibility & configurability of the MX-60 which does date back a number of years. The X does not even have an Aux output !

I have never run an FM CC, so I cannot comment on it. But my MXs just keep on cranking out power .. a very nice boxes, still going strong ! And I would add that my configuration runs close to the upper limit of VOC on occasion.
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
OutBack Czar

Postby sparky on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am

Vic wrote:To continue the derailment of this thread ..

Dave-sparky,

I guess that you do not have your MX-60 correctly. My MX delivers an awful LOT of power while sweeping. Perhaps your panels are defective or your settings are (were) out of whack).

Know that you have been very high on the X CC which is so buggy and dumbed-down so as to be almost useless. My X CC says that it is in Asorb, when it is really still in Bulk ... must be marketing. It lack 80 % of th flexibility & configurability of the MX-60 which does date back a number of years. The X does not even have an Aux output !

I have never run an FM CC, so I cannot comment on it. But my MXs just keep on cranking out power .. a very nice boxes, still going strong ! And I would add that my configuration runs close to the upper limit of VOC on occasion.

Wow have a nice day. As long as you are happy that's great! Maybe we should just trade my mx for your xw? Time to put up or shut-up as they say in Texas.
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Postby SteveHiggins on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Can we all just be friends?
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Director- Surrette Battery Company

\
SteveHiggins
OutBack Czar

Postby Vic on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Steve,

YES we can !

On another Forum have seen this same incorrect "info" on the MX, and thought that it was time to wade into the discussion .

My commente WERE too sharp, and I knew it at the time.

When I got my MX-60 six years ago I was dazzled with its capability. I still am. What a GREAT product.

I bought an X CC looking for an improvement but it was buggy and a giant setp backwards. Thats all.

Thank you, Steve for the continuing great support from Outback. Think that I'll give away the Brand X CC, as soon as I buy the required dongle to update the very buggy FW in it.

All The Best, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
OutBack Czar

Postby sparky on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Vic,
They were pretty sharp but I don't hold any animosity. People have different experiences. This stuff is just electronics right? My own opinions are not just from my own offgrid life of nearly 20 years, but also the other 41 offgrid homes that I am a part of. I am biased by them all ! You might be happier if you trade me that thorn you are carrying around. No aux output, really? maybe they forgot to put one in... I'll still take it.

I think we are good Steve, take care!
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Postby Tinamathur on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:18 am

Yes this is the great idea for marketing the product with the classifieds submission.
this is the best medium.
Lets go for free classifieds.
Tinamathur

Postby Gaqua77 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 am

A great deed done by allowing users to post classifieds, but I didn't found out anything likewise. What's the reason?
Gaqua77

My RE system: Windows

Return to Website & Forum