Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Pictonrose
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback flex max 80
Xantrex sine wave plus inverter/ charger model # swplus5548

Upgrade solar array

Post by Pictonrose » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Well, just so everyone knows, I was having trouble with my charge controller after we upgraded our solar array. Or so I thought! It only seemed to be malfunctioning when I was running my generator. Luckily I have 2 generators and was able to switch it out. It turned out it was my voltage regulator on the genie and not the addition of more solar panels or my charge controller. I'm glad that's figured out! Genie has gone for repairs. Just in time for fall and the rainy season. Resently i have 2 Generac gas generators, my wish is to have a Generac propane in the future to be more self sufficient. Still need lots of learning. Reading some of these posts really tells me i have lots to learn. My only disappointment was I am new to the outback forum and didnt get any advice when I posted, when i needed the help. ](*,) Love this site, has been helpful. Will stay in touch. \:D/

Pictonrose
Forum Member

Re: Upgrade solar array

Post by Pictonrose » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Pictonrose wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:28 pm
Well, just so everyone knows, I was having trouble with my charge controller after we upgraded our solar array. Or so I thought! It only seemed to be malfunctioning when I was running my generator. Luckily I have 2 generators and was able to switch it out. It turned out it was my voltage regulator on the genie and not the addition of more solar panels or my charge controller. I'm glad that's figured out! Genie has gone for repairs. Just in time for fall and the rainy season. Resently i have 2 Generac gas generators, my wish is to have a Generac propane in the future to be more self sufficient. Still need lots of learning. Reading some of these posts really tells me i have lots to learn. My only disappointment was I am new to the outback forum and didnt get any advice when I posted, when i needed the help. ](*,) Love this site, has been helpful. Will stay in touch. \:D/

raysun
Forum Czar
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Post by raysun » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Yes, the Outback user Forum is a great resource. Most of us learn a great deal from each other here, especially when it comes to Outback products and optimizing their usage.

A hint on getting answers to questions you may have:

Fill out your profile with a complete and concise list of your equipment: Inverter model, power output, and input (battery) voltage; Charge controller model; Battery type, voltage, and amp-hour capacity; Generator model and power output; Solar Panel array panel models; array wiring scheme; and array maximun output; all monitoring and control equipment associated with the system.

I'm glad you were able to diagnose the generator issue. Some of the "economy" generators can be trouble in off grid service.

Not knowing your system's complete configuration, I can't tell if you are heading into another problem or not, but 5kW of solar panels is mentioned. If this is true, then there is a grave risk of burning up your charge controller at peak PV output. A FlexMax 80, charging a 48V battery, is rated for a maximum of 3800 watts of PV power.

Pictonrose
Forum Member

Post by Pictonrose » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:56 am

Thank u for getting back. I will get profile updated with all component information.

jbakker
Forum Guru
My RE system: 2 VFX3648 Inverters 2 FM60 150VDC Charge Controllers Mate3 3.4 KW of panels 15kw JC Onan NG Generator made in 1975 I love that generator almost as much as my wife.
7 banks of 14 cells each from a 2017 Chevy Volt. Parallel for the AMP Hour. 7 Chinese made BMS systems.

Post by jbakker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:29 pm

I have no love for the Generac Generators.
If you're looking for a set that runs of vapor (propane or NG) look around for a Onan.
1800 RPM, cast iron, will put out full power I mean if it says 7.5 kw it will do that and do it for 24/7.

Good luck in your search.

Just my 2 cents worth.