Why does forum search not work?

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Why does forum search not work?

Postby intellact on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 am

Please help me out here, folks...

A number of times, I have used this forum's Search function (or attempted the Advanced Search) to look for posts that I know are there. More often than not, it fails to find them. :???:

I'll give you three examples - it would probably be easy to come up with many more:

Someone recently created a post entitled "Skybox", and uses the word "Skybox" in the content. And yet a search for "Skybox" finds no posts. :shock:

A search for "L16e-ac" finds no matching posts, although I copied the string directly from this post.

A search for "password" finds 47 posts, none of which include this post, which references the word several times. #-o

Can anyone explain this behavior or tell me how to get around it?
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Czar

Re: Why does forum search not work?

Postby David LeBow on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 am

Great question. We use phpBB as the underlying forum engine. As such, we're at the mercy of its functionality, somewhat.

I'll queue this up to have a look at it, but it's not at the top of the heap at the moment.

D.
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby hendrik krijt on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

Hi,

Yes I have encountered the same problem. Wanted to search "aquion" batteries, started on the Outback home page search, and found entries in the forum. Searching from the forum I found nothing. Then going back to home page search, found them again. Today "aquion" turns up nothing on the home page or the forum!!?? Administrator, do topics that could be in competition with outback get blocked on the search, I find it strange that I could find it one day, and not on another??!!

Please enlighten or solve the anomaly!!

South African Summer Sunshine to you all!
Hendrik
hendrik krijt

My RE system: pv=4.9Kw, 2xflexmax 80, 2x 24v-240v 50Hz outback inverters, fla's 12x Willard rt25 tubular 2v cells. rsa, kzn prov. (may change to aquion batteries)

Postby David LeBow on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm

David LeBow wrote:We use phpBB as the underlying forum engine. As such, we're at the mercy of its functionality, somewhat.

This is still true. There is no explicit filtering of terms - OutBack-friendly or otherwise.
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby hendrik krijt on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks David.

Hope you guys are able to surmount this embarrassing hick-up :eek: :shock: :-s

regards
Hendrik.
hendrik krijt

My RE system: pv=4.9Kw, 2xflexmax 80, 2x 24v-240v 50Hz outback inverters, fla's 12x Willard rt25 tubular 2v cells. rsa, kzn prov. (may change to aquion batteries)

Postby sodamo on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 am

Search doesn't work. I've mostly given up searching for posts I have previously read, let alone search the more distant past.
Log in doesn't work. Many times I just refuse to post or respond because I choose not to have to log in again.
Posting of pics doesn't work again. Not only the log in problems, but the size requirements are prohibitive.

I'm sure this list could be expanded.

While the "blame" is always put back on the forum software, I suspect it is more due to OB wishes and desires else these recurring issues would be fixed and stay fixed.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Totally off grid
36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
4 FX3048T
RTS
4 FM 80 charge controllers
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
18 Aquion Aspen 48S (39.6kw)
24Kw Yangdong Genset (Affordable Generators - Poor support)
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sodamo/

Postby David LeBow on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 am

sodamo wrote:
While the "blame" is always put back on the forum software, I suspect it is more due to OB wishes and desires else these recurring issues would be fixed and stay fixed.

Sorry, David. Your suspicions are patently incorrect.

The forum was put up as a convenience and judging by the nearly 50,000 posts over the years, someone seems to have found it useful. Years ago, phpBB was chosen as the underlying forum engine. phpBB is not a tool we have particular expertise in nor do we have staff to maintain its inner workings. It's a third-party product. We update the phpBB core engine when it's available. We do what we can to monitor content. We're not bulletin board engine mechanics, so that's why there's an occasional rattle we are not qualified to fix.

"Posting of pics doesn't work again". When I arrived, I fixed a number of things on the forum which I could identify and correct. Picture uploads (at all) then increased picture size among them. If picture uploads aren't working, again, this is the first I've heard. We do indeed have a size limitation, because, well, anyone would. There is infrastructure behind storing, backing up, maintaining storage and functionality and opening it up to infinite upload amounts is counter-intuitive. With new gazillion mega-pixel cameras, the files become huge. Try scaling them down then uploading. If it's broken altogether... (I managed to upload one today), let me know.

"Login doesn't work". I'm afraid I'm not clear on the complaint. In the past I have fielded questions here about "having to log in again". For some period of days, I find that the "keep me logged in functionality" does just that. On other days, I find that I need to login, which I do. If having to enter my credentials (by the way, I have Chrome remember them for me) and clicking a button is going to prevent me from looking at the forum, my motivation levels must be pretty low.

"Search doesn't work". I have seen phpBB search to be dodgy indeed. Our remedy in a case like this is to report it to the developers of phpBB and wait. That we have done.

Sure hope this clarifies.

D.
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby sodamo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am

Well, David, after waiting a few days to respond.
Thank you for your response and your efforts.

The fact this forum is a convenience is undeniable. I'd say it's likely a great resource for OB in that they get feedback they might not otherwise get. Coupled with the ability to monitor a site in realtime via OpticsRE must be awesome. There are some very good, helpful people on here. I appreciate them.

As for persistent login... well guess I'm experiencing unusual behavior. I've had to log in every day since your post. Yes, it keeps me in for the session, but it does time out after I leave. Not closing the site, nor my browser, but if I return in a few hours or next day, I'm logged out. When I do log in I'm also greeted with a message asking if I want to update my Outback password, even if I clicked update the session before. Any chance you OB people just happen to have different privileges than us common folk? Now I would suspect this could be unique to me, my equipment except I can't think of another forum I belong to that behaves this way. Yes, some periodic login for various reasons. Just for haha's, I just visited a forum I haven't been on several weeks, BOOM, immediately knew who I was, logged me in automatically.
Judging by the info at bottom left corner of screen, most forum visitors are seen as guests, not logged in.

As for posting pics " maximum allowed is 512kib" is the message I just got. While I understand some constraints are necessary, this is not reasonable. I would think the corporate accountants have figured out how to minimize forum costs. I, as I suspect most do these days, take my pics either with my iPhone or iPad. To my knowledge there is no direct way to resize a pic directly. Sure I can on my laptop, but that kinda negates the convenience. I believe I'm on another forum or two that offers to resize my pic at time of upload. Maybe turn that on here if available?

So.... while you chose to say I was "patently incorrect", I have taken the time to revalidate my concerns, which seem to be unique to this site. Just like our use of your product, you don't expect us to fix it. But you do expect (hope) we do bring forward our issues and either you straighten us out because perhaps a bad setting on our part or you should investigate and fix the underlying problem we expect you have much the same philosophy regarding this forum and its workings - we can't fix it, you can change settings, you can notify the appropriate people if a problem.
Thank you for your attention.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

4 FX3048T
RTS
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Postby David LeBow on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

I didn't say that you or your concerns were patently incorrect... I said that your suspicions (that OutBack was doing any/all of this on purpose or purposefully neglecting it) were incorrect. Double back on the quotes above and you'll see that I'm not blowing smoke on this.

Persistent login: still at the mercy of the forum software. I've looked, again, if there's a setting I could tweak... I'm not finding it.I'd love to have it fixed - more than you would. As the famous quote now goes: "believe me".

Search: I did go and delete and rebuild the search indices (this is supposed to be automatically updated) and I find that the search is now MUCH improved. Give it a go. I think you'll find the same to be true.

Picture/attachment size. It's an arbitrary limit, set based on the considerations I've listed above. Before I (somewhat arbitrarily) bumped it to 512K it had been set (somewhat arbitrarily) to 256K, I believe. Now that someone has complained, I've (somewhat arbitrarily) doubled it to 1024K.

I can edit the pictures with my giga-pixel resolution that I take on my iPhone and iPad. Not an Android user, but I fully expect that the pictures can be scaled down on the device without significant effort. In any event - I've doubled the limit. Maybe meet me halfway and see if some of the 2.4MB pictures couldn't be scaled down on the device?

D.
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby sodamo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you David
sodamo
OutBack Guru

4 FX3048T
RTS
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Postby hendrik krijt on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks David LeBow!

You seem to have hit the right button some-place as the forum search now immediately returns 19 posts for "aquion" when prompted!! :grin: =D>
We should second you to the forum developers to give them an equalizing charge!!!
The Outback main website search still does not find "aquion", it did before. Perhaps that also needs a cup of coffee!! :wink:

Hendrik Krijt
hendrik krijt

Postby sodamo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Too funny. My test search was Aquion as well.
Really liking them so far. Hope they become an Outback supported technology.

hendrik krijt wrote:Thanks David LeBow!

You seem to have hit the right button some-place as the forum search now immediately returns 19 posts for "aquion" when prompted!! :grin: =D>
We should second you to the forum developers to give them an equalizing charge!!!
The Outback main website search still does not find "aquion", it did before. Perhaps that also needs a cup of coffee!! :wink:

Hendrik Krijt
sodamo
OutBack Guru

4 FX3048T
RTS
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Return to Website & Forum