mini load center application?

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

Post by ericwahl » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:53 pm

Let's say we have a remote system operating at 12VDC, 300Wp array, charge controller, 200aH battery, and a half dozen DC devices. No device over 40W, NOT in a residence.

Could the PSPV or PSSB be used as a "load center" for all connections in the system?

Thanks,
Eric

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:19 am

The OutBack PSPV is actually rated as an outdoor enclosure for both AC and DC applications - so it could even be used as a AC load panel (although a dead front cover for the breakers might be required by an inspector).

wd8cdh
Forum Guru

Post by wd8cdh » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:13 am

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Christopher Freitas:
<strong>The OutBack PSPV is actually rated as an outdoor enclosure for both AC and DC applications - so it could even be used as a AC load panel (although a dead front cover for the breakers might be required by an inspector).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Christopher,

This brings up several questions.

Could the PSPV be used for both a DC combiner and an AC disconnect for the inverter (like your PSSB)?

If so, do you need a blank between the last DC breaker and the first AC breaker?

What is the largest amperage AC breaker and DC breaker that will fit the PSPV?

Will QOU breakers fit the PSPV?

Thanks,

Robin Gudgel

Post by Robin Gudgel » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:22 pm

Ron,
Christopher is in Oregon at a fair so I'll fill in. The PSPV is rated for both AC and DC breakers. It would be a good idea to provide physical separation between circuits just due to inspector confusion. Make sure that the wire insulation is all rated for the highest voltage applied to any circuit in the box. They still may require a dead front underneath the lift off cover. We do not have one for the PSPV. If you get in trouble, then I guess we'll just have to create one. The largest 125VDC breaker we have for the PSPV is 30 amps. The largest AC breaker is 50 amps. Those are both the 1/2" wide CBI breakers. Our new catalog lists all the breakers we supply. Send me your address and I'll get you out a couple of catalogs. That goes for anyone else too. They are full of good information. (really) QOU breakers will fit the din rail also. Are you are aware they are rated for 48vdc only?
Robin Gudgel
rgudgel@outbackpower.com

wd8cdh
Forum Guru

Post by wd8cdh » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:16 am

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware that the QOU was only 48VDC (and I know that is 48VDC max, not nominal).

I was thinking of the QOU for AC if more than 50A was needed.

Do you expect to ever carry the .5" DC breakers in 50 or 60 amps?

Thanks

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:25 pm

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ron Schroeder:
<strong>Do you expect to ever carry the .5" DC breakers in 50 or 60 amps?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes - we now have a 50 amp single and dual pole AC breaker on the pricelist in the 1/2 inch size. Same pricing as the others.

The largest DC rated DIN rail mount 1/2 inch is a 30 amp at this time.