fuses vs. breakers

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

fuses vs. breakers

Post by ericwahl » Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:13 am

Reading the price list, are the prices for PSPV Fuse Holders and Fuses per each?

If so it appears using breakers would be significantly cheaper than Holder + Fuse.

Is there any advantage to using fuses vs. breakers for a traditional array setup? (e.g. 1 kW @ 48V)

Do you feel fuse setup in other brands is inadequate?

Thanks!

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

fuses vs. breakers

Post by ericwahl » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:26 am

Oh I see the fuses are for higher voltages.....

Christopher

fuses vs. breakers

Post by Christopher » Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:52 am

The OBPV breakers are less expensive than the fuses - because the fuses we are listing are for use in high voltage systems (up to 600 vdc).

There are cheaper fuses available for system up to 125 vdc. The difficulty is finding good fuse holders for them that are touch safe (ability to change the fuse without touching live parts) and even then the fuse holders are not load break rated.

The OBPV breakers are also not affected by high ambient temperatures common with a roof mounted PV array and combiner box. Common type breakers are thermal type and fuses also are derated by high temperatures. The OBPV breakers are also rated for load break / load make usage as well.

Christopher

<small>[ March 28, 2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]</small>