Combiner box applications

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:39 pm

Plan to install a combiner box for a project here on campus hopefully next week. A couple of questions trying get a better understanding of the hymark circuit breakers.

I notice that one terminal is marked positive. If the polarity of the terminals were reversed what would be the outcome during a fault condition?

Are the breakers designed to be mounted vertically only?

Paul

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:25 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Owens:

>I notice that one terminal is marked positive. If the polarity of the terminals were reversed what would be the outcome during a fault condition?

The terminal marked positive + should be connected to the higher voltage potential or power source - i.e. the PV array. Its not an absolute - for example, the voltage from the PV panels at night is lower (zero). It mostly has to do with the arc supression system when handling high fault currents. Since the PSPV combiner breakers are considered supplementary protection, they are not the primary protection for fault conditions.

>Are the breakers designed to be mounted vertically only?

The breakers can be mounted in any position, but the time delay will be reduced when it is mounted on its back (like on a 3/12 pitch roof) and the calibration may be slightly off (about 5% or so)when it is on their side as in the PSSB (Sunny Boy) combiner.

<small>[ March 11, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]</small>

Sunkeeper
Forum Expert
My RE system: 6 Kyocera 205 watt modules-2 in series (6 more to add) @ 53.2 vdc with FlexMax 80 , 12 Solarex MSX64 modules -3 in series @36 vdc nominal with MX60, 3 Flexware PV-8 Combiner Boxes, Whisper 200 24 VDC Wind Generator, Air X 24 VDC Wind generator, 2 VFX3524 inverters Outback Parallel Stacked, RTS Sensor, Flexware-500 Wall Mounting Plate, Flexware AC-DC 500 breaker enclosures, UL listed sub panel for AFCI and GFCI breakers, FW-ACA & DCA Enclosures, Flexware AC-DC Surge Protector= FW-SP-ACA, Mate 2, Hub 4, 2 FW-SBUS Shunt Extenders, FW-BBUS, TM500A meter, Hup Solar One Batteries 24 volt @ 1,250 Amp/Hrs., Made my own battery cables from Ancor Marine 4/0 Superconductor Cable, Hydro Caps, Zephyr Battery Room Power Vent with Yandina Fan/Vent Control.
Genny Dee Cee 24 VDC propane generator
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather station
Location: Black Mountain, North Carolina @ 3,224' elevation.....wide open solar/wind site on a ridge top.

Re: Combiner box applications

Post by Sunkeeper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 am

Christopher wrote:
Originally posted by Paul Owens:

>I notice that one terminal is marked positive. If the polarity of the terminals were reversed what would be the outcome during a fault condition?

The terminal marked positive + should be connected to the higher voltage potential or power source - i.e. the PV array. Its not an absolute - for example, the voltage from the PV panels at night is lower (zero). It mostly has to do with the arc supression system when handling high fault currents. Since the PSPV combiner breakers are considered supplementary protection, they are not the primary protection for fault conditions.

>Are the breakers designed to be mounted vertically only?

The breakers can be mounted in any position, but the time delay will be reduced when it is mounted on its back (like on a 3/12 pitch roof) and the calibration may be slightly off (about 5% or so)when it is on their side as in the PSSB (Sunny Boy) combiner.

[ March 11, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]
Good info.......I am going to be removing some home made combiner boxes on a roof with a similar pitch for a client and installing an Outback pv combiner box on a near by convenient vertical wall. Thanks for the specs.
Hello from Western North Carolina~!!!~