Power from Solar Panels Low

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Power from Solar Panels Low

Postby downrightp on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:37 am

I have 18 Evergreen 200watt panels for my system however the wattage coming through fluctuates between 0 and 300 watts (on both the Watt Plot software & Outback Mate). They are wired in parrallel 4 strings of 4ea and one string of two and are split into two feeds going to two Flexmax 80's from the combiner box. The run is about 25ft from the panels to the combiner box using #4 stranded wire and about 4ft from the combiner box to the MX80's. I recently upgraded my system from one MX60 Controller (Did not have this problem) to two Flexmax MX80 Controllers. Help please! The sun is shining.
downrightp

My RE system: New to solar systems. Eighteen evergreen 200's, 2-mx80 charge controllers; PSPV solar combiner; disconnects; 840ah battery bank; 2-Outback GVFX inverters mounted on the Flexware 500.

Re: Power from Solar Panels Low

Postby Kwood on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 am

I would like to know what firmware revision the FM80's have.
If you press the first button on the controller to enter the main menu, press and hold the first button once again and the firmware revision will appear.

Please indicate what the controller displays.
Whats coming IN, Whats going OUT (voltage & current), and what mode the controller is in display at the bottom right corner.
Kwood

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 am

have you altered any settings it the FM`s from default ? Have you set the VBATT calibration ? What is your bat voltage and your indicated panel voltage when this is happening ? Has this only started since the new FM`s (are they wired correctly)

Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby downrightp on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 am

Sweetspark wrote:I would like to know what firmware revision the FM80's have.
If you press the first button on the controller to enter the main menu, press and hold the first button once again and the firmware revision will appear.

First, thanks for the quick response. The firmware revision for the FM80's are both 001.009.000.

Please indicate what the controller displays.
Whats coming IN, Whats going OUT (voltage & current), and what mode the controller is in display at the bottom right corner.

The controller displays 28.2V IN and 25.9V OUT. Current is 0.0A on both. The modes displayed are MPPT BULK on the 1st and SNOOZING on the 2nd.
downrightp

My RE system: New to solar systems. Eighteen evergreen 200's, 2-mx80 charge controllers; PSPV solar combiner; disconnects; 840ah battery bank; 2-Outback GVFX inverters mounted on the Flexware 500.

Postby downrightp on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 am

blackswan555 wrote:have you altered any settings it the FM`s from default ? Have you set the VBATT calibration ? What is your bat voltage and your indicated panel voltage when this is happening ? Has this only started since the new FM`s (are they wired correctly)

Have a good one
Tim

The only setting I altered was to turn the AUX setting to off. I did not set the VBATT Calibration. My battery voltage is at 25.9 and the indicated panel voltage is at 27. This only started with the new FM's.
downrightp

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 am

I presume there was a degree of rewiring for the new FM `s ? do you know if this is done correctly, if you have pics that may be helpful,

They are wired in parallel 4 strings of 4ea and one string of two
Do you mean they are wired 4 in series then 4 parallel then the other 2 on the other FM in series ?

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby downrightp on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 am

blackswan555 wrote:I presume there was a degree of rewiring for the new FM `s ? do you know if this is done correctly, if you have pics that may be helpful,
Tim

Not sure if the photos will upload, but here goes.
Attachments
Solar System 002.jpg
Flexmax 80's
Solar System 001.jpg
PSPV
Solar System 004.jpg
Shunt w/battery neg and 2 connected inverters
downrightp

Postby downrightp on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

blackswan555 wrote:I presume there was a degree of rewiring for the new FM `s ? do you know if this is done correctly, if you have pics that may be helpful,
Tim
Attachments
Solar System 008.jpg
+ connection from 175amp breaker to inverters and breakers to FM80's.
Solar System 005.jpg
power for MX80 from + buss to breakers to MX80's
Solar System 006.jpg
battery connection to 175amp breaker for Inverters + and connection to + terminal buss. (ordered 2nd breaker)
downrightp

Postby Kwood on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am

downrightp wrote:The controller displays 28.2V IN and 25.9V OUT. Current is 0.0A on both. The modes displayed are MPPT BULK on the 1st and SNOOZING on the 2nd.

This is the reason you are not charging. Your incoming voltage has to be AT LEAST 2 voltage higher then your absorbtion setpoint in order to charge. By default, the absorbtion set point is 28.8, thus, your incoming voltage has to be at least 30.8 to harvest current. The controller is display MPPT-Bulk because it wants to charge, but does not have nesscary power to complete a bulk charge.

Just out of curiousity, if you enter the advanced menu on the controller, press next until you reach 'auto restart'. The bottom right hand corner says Mode 0, I want you to change it to Mode 1 for troubleshooting purposes. Press mode and it will change the value, it will ask for a password which will always be 141.

Let me know the outcome O:)
Kwood

Postby downrightp on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:26 pm

Just out of curiousity, if you enter the advanced menu on the controller, press next until you reach 'auto restart'. The bottom right hand corner says Mode 0, I want you to change it to Mode 1 for troubleshooting purposes. Press mode and it will change the value, it will ask for a password which will always be 141.

Let me know the outcome O:)[/quote]

Both controllers went into "sleeping" "Snoozing" mode respectively.
downrightp

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 pm

Your incoming panel voltage is very low, They are either wired in-correctly or you have a breaker faulty I would think, Please clarify/confirm how they are wired ?

Have a good one
Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby downrightp on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

blackswan555 wrote:Your incoming panel voltage is very low, They are either wired in-correctly or you have a breaker faulty I would think, Please clarify/confirm how they are wired ?

Have a good one
Tim

Just finished re-wiring the panels from 24V to 48V. Will have to wait for tomorrow to see if that takes care of the problem. Will post update tomorrow after the Sun starts doing it's thing.
downrightp

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:31 pm

if they were all wired in parallel, they will work to-morrow :-)

Have a good one
Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby downrightp on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 am

blackswan555 wrote:if they were all wired in parallel, they will work to-morrow :-)

Have a good one
Tim

You are right on! Things already looking a lot better even though it's cloudy. Thanks a million to all!
Attachments
Solar System WattPlot.jpg
downrightp

Postby Rassel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 am

Solar power is fully depends on the power of sunlight. If sunlight power is low then the power of solar is low.
Rassel

Return to Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)