Connections

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Robinson
Forum Junior Member

Connections

Post by Robinson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 pm

1. How do i connect Solar Panels to have my desired output power?
2. How many Solar Panels do i need to charge 24V /1500AH Deep Cycle Batteries?
3. How many hours will the charging require?

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Re: Connections

Post by tallgirl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:17 am

Robinson wrote:1. How do i connect Solar Panels to have my desired output power?
2. How many Solar Panels do i need to charge 24V /1500AH Deep Cycle Batteries?
3. How many hours will the charging require?
1). It depends on the panels. Each panel has it's own electrical properties and those properties determine the best connection strategy.

2). It depends on demand (loads and the nature of the loads), geographical location, local weather conditions, and whether or not you also have a generator. Since you mentioned a 1500AH bank, I'm assuming you're off-grid, in which case I'm also assuming you have a generator. That gives you a bit of leeway on the array size, but at the expense of generator run-time in foul weather / low-light conditions.

3). It depends on depth of discharge per day, average insolation, average maximum days without sunshine, and total array wattage.

As you can see, the answer is "It depends". Give us a bit more info on your components, geographical location, etc. and I'm sure you'll start getting more information than you want.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.