Wiring lightning arrestor in the PSPV

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Suncrow
Forum Member

Wiring lightning arrestor in the PSPV

Post by Suncrow » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey folks,
First timer on this forum.
My system is Outback 3524 inv on PS2 mount (AC & DC) w/four L16 batts and four Sharp 180 watt panels wired through PSPV, w/MX60, Hub 4 and Mate 2, off-grid.
I have a question regarding wiring a lightning arrestor in the PSPV.
The arrestor I have is a Delta 650 volt, three-wire (two black, one white).
Can this be wired into the PSPV and how would it be wired?
Also, should I have another arrestor on the DC or AC panels, or both?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Mark

offgridfarmer
Forum Member

Post by offgridfarmer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 am

Is that a DC or an AC unit? If itÔÇÖs AC it would be 2 hot and a neutral. If itÔÇÖs DC than I thing it was miss marked.

IÔÇÖm thinking it is an AC unit that sends the surge to neutral as most of them work

I have one arrester for each of my MX60ÔÇÖs, one for my whole DC system and one in each AC panel (not the outback panels. IÔÇÖm using TVSS plug in units that go onto the buss bars of the breaker box. I have done a lot of reading on the on the TVSS units and they say that you need 2 units to handle a direct hit.

TVSS is an arrester that sends the surges to ground.

If you give us the model number off the unit we could look it up and see what you have.

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Post by Kent Osterberg » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:32 am

Mark,

You should be fine using this arrestor in the PSPV. The only difference between Delta's ac and dc units is the color of the wire and the label. They are all basically a box of sand with two wires that are close enough together to spark over when the voltage gets too high. Connect the white wire to the ground terminal, one black wire to PV+ and the other black wire to PV-. Be sure to put lightning protection at the MX 60 too.

Suncrow
Forum Member

Post by Suncrow » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Kent, OGF- Thanks for the info. Think I'll pick up another arrestor or two for the other locations.
Mark