installing pspv in the roof

Discussion about the Power System PV Combiner (PSPV)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

alik
Forum Whiz

installing pspv in the roof

Post by alik » Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 pm

can i install the pspv in the roof without any protection.is it waterproof. :shock:

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Post by Kent Osterberg » Tue May 02, 2006 8:30 pm

The PSPV is not waterproof. It is NEMA 3R rated for outdoor use (that means rain tolerant) for roofs with pitch greater than 4:12. If mounted directly to the roof, I'd recommend a couple short pieces of strunt under it to facilitate drainage.

pejardine
Forum Member

Installation on Roof

Post by pejardine » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:27 am

If I install the PSPV on the roof, do I have to worry about snow entering the box and causing problems? I have a 25 degree roof and I live in Colorado.
Thanks.

crewzer
Forum Emperor

Post by crewzer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:25 pm

The OutBack PSPV combiner box has a Type 3R NEMA rating for slopes as gentle as 3-in-12, or about 14 degrees. HereÔÇÖs the NEMA definition of a Type 3R enclosure:
Enclosures are intended for outdoor use primarily to provide a degree of protection against falling rain and sleet; undamaged by the formation of ice on the enclosure.
The UL definition is similar. The CSA definition adds ÔÇ£snowÔÇØ to the ÔÇ£degree of protectionÔÇØ list.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
090805 System Configuration: 966 W STC (849 W CEC PTC) 48V PV array, FM80, 24V x 400 Ah AGM battery bank, FX2524T w/ BTS, Hub-4 & Mate; Link-10 w/ BTS, & E-Panel.

SteveH
Forum Guru

Post by SteveH » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:18 pm

I installed a PSPV here at my cottage in Colorado, too, last year. I didn't put it on the roof, but that makes no difference. I installed mine on a post, vertically. I assume from your concern you may be installing yours flat on the roof. As the other posters have stated already, the box is not "waterproof." However, unless you have liquid water rising to the level of the box, I don't see any way you will have a problem. I have conduit attached to my box, several runs of it, and I simply ran a bead of silicone around the attachments at the box. Mine has been buried beneath a couple feet of snow with no contamination inside the box as the snow melted. If it's lying flat, or lying on your roof at the roof's angle, you will likely get a bit of water running into the box from the upper margin of the door. If you set the box vertically on your roof, problem solved.