CANBUS interface

True Hybrid Energy System
Ampster
Forum Guru
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
28 kWh pack of LFP batteries powering a Skybox which is used for load shifting and backup.

CANBUS interface

Post by Ampster » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 am

Does anyone know of any documentation of the CANBUS protocol? I know Outback has developed some in conjunction with SimpliPhi but those are all proprietary. Is there a vocabulary of commands?

I have an Orion BMS that has two CANBUS channels and I was interested if there is a way to have the two communicate. Currently my Orion will open the contactor to the battery is there is an event but I was looking for something that might be able to reduce the constant voltage setting (Absorb) or charge rate instead of dropping the battery completely.
Drive Tesla Model X and Model 3 which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.

fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Re: CANBUS interface

Post by fcwlp » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:28 am

checkout https://www.canbus.us/

It is an open standard that is widely used in automobiles. Not sure about your Teslas. :grin:

Ampster
Forum Guru
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
28 kWh pack of LFP batteries powering a Skybox which is used for load shifting and backup.

Post by Ampster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Thanks for the link. I may not have phrased my question correctly. I understand that CANBUS is the network protocol. What I need to figure out is the language that my Skybox uses and how it could talk another device on the CANBUS network.
Maybe I am askingt if there is a Library of commands?

Ampster
Forum Guru

Post by Ampster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:53 am

For starters all I would need is a "stop charging" command that I could probably program an Arduiono to send.