Stacked SkyBox Inverters and Battery Banks

True Hybrid Energy System
Voltaire
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: System Designer and Installer

Stacked SkyBox Inverters and Battery Banks

Post by Voltaire » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:04 pm

My question is about how the battery bank(s) are handled when stacking the SkyBox Inverters. To my understanding... when stacking these inverters each requires a separate battery bank. This concerns me as how does the system use each bank of batteries equally to prevent one from aging faster than the others?

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Re: Stacked SkyBox Inverters and Battery Banks

Post by Gwendoly Espe » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Voltaire wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:04 pm
My question is about how the battery bank(s) are handled when stacking the SkyBox Inverters. To my understanding... when stacking these inverters each requires a separate battery bank. This concerns me as how does the system use each bank of batteries equally to prevent one from aging faster than the others?

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks!
In an off-grid scenario, the inverters will evenly match the AC output, pulling the same DC current from the DC busbar. If the systems storage/PV are balanced, then it will cycle the batteries evenly.

If you're on grid cycling, you're cycling for time of use (cost of energy; Grid vs Battery), if they are all the same batteries/PV, they should discharge at the same rate and age at the same rate. In this grid cycling scenario, if you have different batteries or battery chemistries, you might not want to discharge the batteries evenly since the cost of one might be more expensive than another. SkyBox and programming takes this into account.

Here is a webinar about SkyBox stacking that talks more about batteries and SkyBox if you haven't seen this already: Webinar | SkyBox Stacking
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com