Re: SkyBox Functional Q's

Postby BatteryGuy on Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am

BatteryGuy
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Postby AltPowerRob on Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm

@BatteryGuy...

Yes - You would have several options to handle a grid-outage all-loads backup.. That's where a solution like the SkyBox or the Radian can really shine for you, but size does matter! :)

1. You can parallel multiple SB's , up to 6! They now have the firmware available to do this, but take warning!.. this is new 1st-round technology / solution for OB w/ the SkyBox.. they'll help you work through this.. You would then have enough battery (probably split-up between multiple SB's) to handle your largest simultaneous load.. Your loads' panel(s) will have to be setup / split-up in 5KW increments as that's the max AC pass-through that SB can handle..

2. If you're wanting to stick w/ a single SB w/ Batteries for a "critical loads panel", and have the remainder of your larger loads in a Main Service Panel, ahead of the SB, then you'll have to implement either an MTS or ATS w/ a Gen ahead of the Main Service Panel & then utilize the Utility:BULP panel MTS that I described in a previous response (this is so that the SB doesn't try to interconnect w/ the Gen & push-back onto it while the Gen becomes your "utility" )...

3. You can make this as complicated or as simple as your needs require.. the SB is simply a nice Automatic Tool that can take in PV & Run BULP off of batteries and/or a Gen for isolated loads.. it just has this 5KW AC loads limitation... unless you start to parallel, etc..

Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions
AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

My RE system:

Postby AltPowerRob on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey All... Just an update on our SB System.. We bought this unit (as I believe the 1st one in CO!,.. back in December..). Due to a PITA Utility, losing 3 months for their very subjective review! & then several weather delays.. we FINALLY got this system online this week :).. All is good.. but we did have some qwerky things, in particular a bad circuit board in the RSD ICS Combiner Box.. Bo w/ Outback was very quick to get this replacement out to us & all came online as expected.. We've given him much feedback on little qwerky things with the software & menu responses, but all in all I'm fairly happy.. We'll see how things go once we get into a "stacked setup" and/or multiple batteries, but I feel confident that OB will work these Bugs Out & make this a very versatile solution for grid-tied clients! :)
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions
AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

My RE system:

Previous

Return to SkyBox Inverter