SkyBox Functional Q's

True Hybrid Energy System
alorentz
Forum Member

Re: SkyBox Functional Q's

Post by alorentz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 am

AltPowerRob wrote:Back to the Bypass Scenario... We're used to doing off-grid applications using the Radian, in which we use the internal bypass switching for the AC Gen to go directly to the loads panel.. With this G-T w/ Battery B/U & Gen scenario, what would be the manual / external bypass setup recommendation? I've been thinking this through a lot since the AEE Dealer Conference (where I spent some significant time w/ Bo on this product) and I'm still not sure whether I should be setting up the Gen or the Utility to bypass to the loads panel, should there be an inverter failure.. I guess I'm leaning towards Gen, as the client would still be setup properly if they decided to "cut the cord" in the future... I also looked at having both the Gen & the Utility bypass option, but that gets pretty complicated w/ the use of multiple bypass switches (double throw switches, etc..)... Anyone's thoughts are appreciated!
I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am

I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 am

this is off topic somewhat; any thoughts on the sol-ark-8k vs skybox? Andrew

Ampster
Forum Expert
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
Previous home also used a reconfigured Nissan Leaf pack to power a Radian which was used for load shifting and backup.

Post by Ampster » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 pm

alorentz wrote:I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew
I also used the Midnite 60a transfer switch. I purchased it online. It was a tight fit for 6AWG wires. I don't have a generator so it was configured for the grid.
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:10 pm

yes, 6awg is definitely snug. I also utilized ferrule connectors so it would have a better connection at the minite breakers. it's tough to get a good connection with the 6awg bare copper strands.

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

hello, everyone.
I'm nearing the end with the whole house backup with dual skybox install. I'm also trying to be proactive with the wiring when the stacking options become available. right now, skybox#1 is designed to feed the upstairs sub and the skybox#2 downstairs; I realize skybox stacking is not available right now so only the downstairs is connected to skybox#2 load out and while the skybox#1 sits idle until the firmware stacking update becomes available. I also have a 10 mod south facing array feeding skybox rsd combiner/initiator and out to "active" skybox#2 (downstairs); unfortunately, the 12 mod west facing array feeding "idle" skybox#1 (upstairs) is doing nothing right now. so, my question is: will i be able to utilize the pv mppt input on the "idle" skybox#1 when it's ultimately stacked? in other words, by stacking two skybox inverters, will this provide me with dual mppt option? also, will each skybox have its own load out capability or will it be combined load out only from a master? lastly, I'm utilizing two separate rsd combiners that share a single rsi; combiner#1 pv output to "idle" skybox#1 and combiner#2 to "active skybox#2. also, the rapid shutdown outputs 5 and 13 from the "active" skybox#2 will ultimately go out to terminals 4 and 12 of "idle" skybox#1 when its stacked. now, am I over looking anything here? thanks, Andrew

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 pm

We are progressing well on the SkyBox install of the Original Post that started this thread.. although, I do have another "functional" question, as this work has to be done in "phases" due to a main service upgrade / reconfiguration before finishing the PV input & the Battery... so my Q: Can I bring the SkyBox "online" w/ just the Grid-Interactive feed & a Loads Panel off the SkyBox? (no PV, no Gen, No RSD yet.. so no DC power).. Will it work? As I need it to work so when we do the service upgrade & swap-over to the new underground feed (from an old overhead, etc..) we will also be moving the old "Main Loads Panel" into a position of now it being the "Backed Up Loads Panel" fed through via the new SkyBox.. If the SB can't do this w/out a DC input active, then we'll have to do the swap-over in multiple phases :(... Please advise @BoMagluyan or @GwendolyEspe
20190215_172400-Reduced.pdf
Getting Close to Turn-On!
(389.86 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Thanks.......... Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm

is anyone out there...thanks! Andrew

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm

earth to mars? is anyone out there? okay. joking aside. I'm just wrapping up with the commissioning of skybox with simpliphi batteries. I've gone through the wizard setup and skipped some steps; I was planning on coming back to it. so far everything is checking out fine with the skybox but can't seems to edit because I need to login with username and password. where can I find this to set this up or reset? I never did setup my username or password so I'm bit puzzled by this. perhaps if possible I could go back through the wizard process again to set this up. is this possible? so far everything requires username/password to edit. on a side note, I had issue of the ethernet connection for some reason; it keeps dropping in and out. Andrew

Shadow_Storm56
Forum Guru
My RE system: Solar panels, charge controllers , outback radian inverter.

Post by Shadow_Storm56 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm

You tried default user and pass? Normally for everything its admin or Admin and the password is blank or also admin. It also could be like a router whare it is on the unit some place.

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm

tried everything. it just asks for password whether owner, installer, admin on skybox. my optics password is even worthless but I'm able to view the system. weird.

Shadow_Storm56
Forum Guru

Post by Shadow_Storm56 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Sounds like something got setup wrong, I assumed you tried consulting the manual for the password? I have done this before whare I accidentally skip a step on something and end up with a weird default password. It's not fun

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:56 pm

via optics account, I'm able to view and setup the system but not everything. the skybox optics icon is still red and not able to make that connection. I'm trying to login to skybox so I can get some firmware updates and such but running into password problem.

Shadow_Storm56
Forum Guru

Post by Shadow_Storm56 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 pm

How is the skybox anyway? I have never seen one in person. Or are you not even able to start it without the login info? I really wish I could help you, maybe rest it and redo the initial setup? I'm not really sure how these work.

Ampster
Forum Expert
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
Previous home also used a reconfigured Nissan Leaf pack to power a Radian which was used for load shifting and backup.

Post by Ampster » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:09 pm

alorentz wrote:via optics account, I'm able to view and setup the system but not everything. the skybox optics icon is still red and not able to make that connection. I'm trying to login to skybox so I can get some firmware updates and such but running into password problem.
The login is skybox
admin pswd is 1234
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:13 pm

that was the first password I tried. so I'm assuming the username name is skybox because it just asks for the password when trying to edit within the skybox inverter???
I'll try again tomorrow I guess. and, yes the skybox is running great with pv, grid, and the batteries. I'm also hoping after the firmware update that simpliphi batteries come up as an option under lithium category. right now, I have custom selected with all of the correct parameters for simpliphi. thanks for the help. Andrew

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 pm

alorentz wrote:that was the first password I tried. so I'm assuming the username name is skybox because it just asks for the password when trying to edit within the skybox inverter???
I'll try again tomorrow I guess. and, yes the skybox is running great with pv, grid, and the batteries. I'm also hoping after the firmware update that simpliphi batteries come up as an option under lithium category. right now, I have custom selected with all of the correct parameters for simpliphi. thanks for the help. Andrew
Quite often you won't get immediate help via this Forum.. frustrating as it is, this is just one resource, and sometimes you'll get lucky w/ an Outback Tech Person jumping on to guide/answer your Q's... otherwise, when I'm in a time-sensitive bind I'll call Tech Support, sometimes over & over to get the right person!!.. I will drop a name, the Main "guru" Senior Product Manager behind the SkyBox build is Bo Magluyan.. He's "the man" that can / will answer any Q you may have re: the SB :).. I wouldn't "inundate" him w/ a bunch of stuff, but if it's a real roadblock type situation, then e-mail him: bmagluyan@outbackpower.com ... I would be more help, but frozen ground has me stalled for a while, so I can't finish-up & commission the system I physically installed some time ago (waiting to complete a new service upgrade).. Good Luck!!
Rob Bennett

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am

thanks. it's up and running now. unfortunately, my second skybox is all wired and sitting idle; it's waiting for the firmware upgrade for future stacking option. I'm really hoping sometime early second quarter this canl be available. I got to say single mppt option is a real bummer. right now I have 3kw in pv capacity sitting idle with my second skybox. I'm also working with two different roof azimuth and slope. hence, 3kw in skybox1 and 3kw in skybox2. so far, skybox1 is working as it should - I'm loving the simpliphi batteries too. best, Andrew

Xeroiv
Forum Junior Member

Post by Xeroiv » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Anyone that's used a skybox know if it's possible to get system data over the local network without relying on the cloud? It wasn't immediately clear to me if the ability to program or interigate these devices from a PC was possible. I saw that the gui had an option for ra485 but I was uncertain as to where that connection was (probably reserved to the LG resu battery).

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 am

yes. I'm amazed that there still isn't a legit installation and operations manual; simple quick quide approach that outback is taking is simply not good enough for the installers in the field. it truly lacks the critical details and a bit frustrating in my book. most tech support calls that I have made could have been resolved with a legit installation and operations manual.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am

alorentz wrote:yes. I'm amazed that there still isn't a legit installation and operations manual; simple quick quide approach that outback is taking is simply not good enough for the installers in the field. it truly lacks the critical details and a bit frustrating in my book. most tech support calls that I have made could have been resolved with a legit installation and operations manual.
Totally agreed! New products QSGs have been lacking the details that take up a bunch if extra time fir ys to track down answers, etc.. They would have much tech calls & frustrated installers if they'd just spend more detailed time in Engineering before pushing everything out to market..
Rob Bennett

alorentz
Forum Member

Post by alorentz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 pm

I'm still waiting on the stacking firmware update for my second skybox and some clear operators manual on the in and out's for doing this. also, I'm really bummed on the all of the glitches on the skybox operation - especially on the optics re platform. in addation, the touch screen menu of the skybox is notoriously prone to screen delay. today, my skybox faulted out with a non recoverable faults for some odd reason after month of operation. I had to do a hard reset with a compete shutdown to bring it out of the fault/bypass mode. the fault read: pcs- npc gate fault and pcs -dab fpfa trip. I'm venting here and really frustrated with all this.

BatteryGuy
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Skybox, Simpliphi Battery

Post by BatteryGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I just had a skybox installed with one simpliphi. Can anyone recommend what to install to bypass it so my back up panel can be fed from the grid if it ever fails?

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 pm

BatteryGuy wrote:I just had a skybox installed with one simpliphi. Can anyone recommend what to install to bypass it so my back up panel can be fed from the grid if it ever fails?
Pretty Simple hardware setup (all exterior to the SkyBox wiring shown).. You'll need to have a MTS (manual transfer switch or often called double-throw double-pole) in-between the Utility Interconnect & the SkyBox(SB)/Backed-Up Loads Panel (BULP).. The Utility will be the MTS' "line in" & then you'll have (2) "loads out"; (1) to the "Grid-In" on the SB, and the other to a back-fed breaker in the BULP.. NOTE: this back-fed breaker will need to be immediately adjacent(or under) the MCB in the BULP. You will need to have it "interlocked" w/ the MCB, so that the BULP can only be fed from either the SB's AC BULP Out or from this New MTS... So 99% of the time you'll have this New MTS switched (say UP) to the SB as a Load (which goes into the SB's Grid-In Connection)... and then the SB feeds out to the BULP's MCB ..., but when you have a SB failure/issue & need to route your Utility directly into the BULP, you'll then switch the new MTS (say down), which will feed directly to the added back-fed breaker in the BULP, which will then need to be manually "interlocked" to turn on (feed into the buss) & that way your MCB will be turned off (which forces you to not be able to have 2 sources simulataneously hitting your BULP buss... Make Sense?... Find out your BULP's Nameplate Data & go onto www.interlockkit.com & match-up the right manual interlock setup for your specific panel needs... then get yourself a quality DPDT MTS.. You may need to qualify all this via a revised one-line w/ your Utility, as the DPDT MTS will now be in-line between your SB & the PV injection connection and/or a REC Meter before interactive with the Utility.... Good Luck!!
Rob Bennett

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am

Midnite has a low-cost 240Vac transfer switch. http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.ph ... 20switches

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/