Firmware update failure.

True Hybrid Energy System
Ampster
Forum Expert
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
Previous home also used a reconfigured Nissan Leaf pack to power a Radian which was used for load shifting and backup.

Firmware update failure.

Post by Ampster » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 pm

A couple months ago I was updating the firmware on my Skybox and the system locked. I tried to rollback to the previous release but it would still not start the inverter. The display worked, the fans were running but the inverter would not turn on. I made a service request and Outback shipped me a new Skybox. The replacement did not include the bottom of BOS so it was relatively easy to replace the unit packgage the old unit and send it back via Fedex Freight.
Three days ago I saw that Firmware 1.3.27 was available and after reading the release notes I thought I would update version 1.2.22 on my Skybox. After the reboot the inverter would not power up and the fans kept running. I placed another service request. I can see the error messages which read:"The system has suffered a failure, going into Limbo. SYSTEM INVALID". Another message read, "SC - CAN Communication Failure". I am hopeful the this can be resolved online since I can still see the SkyBox through OPTICSRE.
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.

BoMagluyan
OutBack Product Management
My RE system: SkyBox
12x EnergyCell PLR batteries in an IBR3
no PV

Re: Firmware update failure.

Post by BoMagluyan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Please open all breakers to the SkyBox and let it cool. I would try the firmware update again, immediately after powering up, after the SkyBox has cooled for about an hour. If that doesn't work, I would try again first thing in the morning.

In July, you were running 1.0.x firmware and we had no recourse other than to ship new hardware to you.

Since then, with version 1.1.x and later, we have a more robust firmware update process. It may not be an elegant process for all SkyBoxes, but seems to work.
Bo Magluyan
OutBack Product Management

OutBack Power Technologies, Inc.
17825 59th Ave NE, Ste B Arlington WA 98223 USA
www.outbackpower.com

Ampster
Forum Expert
My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
Previous home also used a reconfigured Nissan Leaf pack to power a Radian which was used for load shifting and backup.

Re: Firmware update failure.

Post by Ampster » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks, that worked. I didn't see that option when I first looked. I will email tech support for the new Admin password.
I am now running on 1.3.27 :grin:
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.