SkyBox Functional Q's

True Hybrid Energy System
BatteryGuy
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Skybox, Simpliphi Battery

Re: SkyBox Functional Q's

Post by BatteryGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am

Pretty Simple hardware setup (all exterior to the SkyBox wiring shown).. You'll need to have a MTS (manual transfer switch or often called double-throw double-pole) in-between the Utility Interconnect & the SkyBox(SB)/Backed-Up Loads Panel (BULP).. The Utility will be the MTS' "line in" & then you'll have (2) "loads out"; (1) to the "Grid-In" on the SB, and the other to a back-fed breaker in the BULP.. NOTE: this back-fed breaker will need to be immediately adjacent(or under) the MCB in the BULP. You will need to have it "interlocked" w/ the MCB, so that the BULP can only be fed from either the SB's AC BULP Out or from this New MTS... So 99% of the time you'll have this New MTS switched (say UP) to the SB as a Load (which goes into the SB's Grid-In Connection)... and then the SB feeds out to the BULP's MCB ..., but when you have a SB failure/issue & need to route your Utility directly into the BULP, you'll then switch the new MTS (say down), which will feed directly to the added back-fed breaker in the BULP, which will then need to be manually "interlocked" to turn on (feed into the buss) & that way your MCB will be turned off (which forces you to not be able to have 2 sources simulataneously hitting your BULP buss... Make Sense?... Find out your BULP's Nameplate Data & go onto http://www.interlockkit.com & match-up the right manual interlock setup for your specific panel needs... then get yourself a quality DPDT MTS.. You may need to qualify all this via a revised one-line w/ your Utility, as the DPDT MTS will now be in-line between your SB & the PV injection connection and/or a REC Meter before interactive with the Utility.... Good Luck!!

thanks! do you know if i would still be able to implement a back up generator that would support all loads during a grid outage? Peak load is greater than 5kW so I'm not sure if having the skybox manage it all is the best option as I would prefer to supply the whole house.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm

@BatteryGuy...

Yes - You would have several options to handle a grid-outage all-loads backup.. That's where a solution like the SkyBox or the Radian can really shine for you, but size does matter! :)

1. You can parallel multiple SB's , up to 6! They now have the firmware available to do this, but take warning!.. this is new 1st-round technology / solution for OB w/ the SkyBox.. they'll help you work through this.. You would then have enough battery (probably split-up between multiple SB's) to handle your largest simultaneous load.. Your loads' panel(s) will have to be setup / split-up in 5KW increments as that's the max AC pass-through that SB can handle..

2. If you're wanting to stick w/ a single SB w/ Batteries for a "critical loads panel", and have the remainder of your larger loads in a Main Service Panel, ahead of the SB, then you'll have to implement either an MTS or ATS w/ a Gen ahead of the Main Service Panel & then utilize the Utility:BULP panel MTS that I described in a previous response (this is so that the SB doesn't try to interconnect w/ the Gen & push-back onto it while the Gen becomes your "utility" )...

3. You can make this as complicated or as simple as your needs require.. the SB is simply a nice Automatic Tool that can take in PV & Run BULP off of batteries and/or a Gen for isolated loads.. it just has this 5KW AC loads limitation... unless you start to parallel, etc..

Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey All... Just an update on our SB System.. We bought this unit (as I believe the 1st one in CO!,.. back in December..). Due to a PITA Utility, losing 3 months for their very subjective review! & then several weather delays.. we FINALLY got this system online this week :).. All is good.. but we did have some qwerky things, in particular a bad circuit board in the RSD ICS Combiner Box.. Bo w/ Outback was very quick to get this replacement out to us & all came online as expected.. We've given him much feedback on little qwerky things with the software & menu responses, but all in all I'm fairly happy.. We'll see how things go once we get into a "stacked setup" and/or multiple batteries, but I feel confident that OB will work these Bugs Out & make this a very versatile solution for grid-tied clients! :)
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 repl'd MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC (2007)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied, no longer AC- coupled

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 (2x7) Talesun 275W (DC array input to SB charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 modules

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 am

I bought this backup load panel with a built-in bypass switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q ... UTF8&psc=1
It's designed to switch between utility and generator but I'm going to connect the Skybox AC output to the Gen side of the switch. It's nice because there's space for load breakers or even ganged (2 pole) breakers for AC coupling an AC array to the Skybox.
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221