SkyBox Functional Q's

True Hybrid Energy System

Re: SkyBox Functional Q's

Postby alorentz on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 am

AltPowerRob wrote:Back to the Bypass Scenario... We're used to doing off-grid applications using the Radian, in which we use the internal bypass switching for the AC Gen to go directly to the loads panel.. With this G-T w/ Battery B/U & Gen scenario, what would be the manual / external bypass setup recommendation? I've been thinking this through a lot since the AEE Dealer Conference (where I spent some significant time w/ Bo on this product) and I'm still not sure whether I should be setting up the Gen or the Utility to bypass to the loads panel, should there be an inverter failure.. I guess I'm leaning towards Gen, as the client would still be setup properly if they decided to "cut the cord" in the future... I also looked at having both the Gen & the Utility bypass option, but that gets pretty complicated w/ the use of multiple bypass switches (double throw switches, etc..)... Anyone's thoughts are appreciated!

I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew
alorentz
Forum Member

Postby alorentz on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am

I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew
alorentz
Forum Member

Postby alorentz on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 am

this is off topic somewhat; any thoughts on the sol-ark-8k vs skybox? Andrew
alorentz
Forum Member

Postby Ampster on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 pm

alorentz wrote:I chose to go with the grid vs the generator. my reasoning? if the inverter goes down for extended duration, I rather lean on the grid to power the backed up loads and avoid the generator runtime and the noise. also, the generator would need to be sized appropriately as well. I ended up using MidNite 60a manual transfer since I had one laying around. Andrew

I also used the Midnite 60a transfer switch. I purchased it online. It was a tight fit for 6AWG wires. I don't have a generator so it was configured for the grid.
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.
Ampster
Forum Expert

My RE system: 5.7K solar system with Solaredge inverter. Heat pump water heater.
Previous home also used a reconfigured Nissan Leaf pack to power a Radian which was used for load shifting and backup.

Postby alorentz on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:10 pm

yes, 6awg is definitely snug. I also utilized ferrule connectors so it would have a better connection at the minite breakers. it's tough to get a good connection with the 6awg bare copper strands.
alorentz
Forum Member

Postby alorentz on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

hello, everyone.
I'm nearing the end with the whole house backup with dual skybox install. I'm also trying to be proactive with the wiring when the stacking options become available. right now, skybox#1 is designed to feed the upstairs sub and the skybox#2 downstairs; I realize skybox stacking is not available right now so only the downstairs is connected to skybox#2 load out and while the skybox#1 sits idle until the firmware stacking update becomes available. I also have a 10 mod south facing array feeding skybox rsd combiner/initiator and out to "active" skybox#2 (downstairs); unfortunately, the 12 mod west facing array feeding "idle" skybox#1 (upstairs) is doing nothing right now. so, my question is: will i be able to utilize the pv mppt input on the "idle" skybox#1 when it's ultimately stacked? in other words, by stacking two skybox inverters, will this provide me with dual mppt option? also, will each skybox have its own load out capability or will it be combined load out only from a master? lastly, I'm utilizing two separate rsd combiners that share a single rsi; combiner#1 pv output to "idle" skybox#1 and combiner#2 to "active skybox#2. also, the rapid shutdown outputs 5 and 13 from the "active" skybox#2 will ultimately go out to terminals 4 and 12 of "idle" skybox#1 when its stacked. now, am I over looking anything here? thanks, Andrew
alorentz
Forum Member

Postby AltPowerRob on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 pm

We are progressing well on the SkyBox install of the Original Post that started this thread.. although, I do have another "functional" question, as this work has to be done in "phases" due to a main service upgrade / reconfiguration before finishing the PV input & the Battery... so my Q: Can I bring the SkyBox "online" w/ just the Grid-Interactive feed & a Loads Panel off the SkyBox? (no PV, no Gen, No RSD yet.. so no DC power).. Will it work? As I need it to work so when we do the service upgrade & swap-over to the new underground feed (from an old overhead, etc..) we will also be moving the old "Main Loads Panel" into a position of now it being the "Backed Up Loads Panel" fed through via the new SkyBox.. If the SB can't do this w/out a DC input active, then we'll have to do the swap-over in multiple phases :(... Please advise @BoMagluyan or @GwendolyEspe

20190215_172400-Reduced.pdf
Getting Close to Turn-On!
(389.86 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Thanks.......... Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions
AltPowerRob
Forum Whiz

My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH battery (monitoring locally w/ Schneider Conext Combox/SCP). 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, Conext & Enlighten.

Postby alorentz on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm

is anyone out there...thanks! Andrew
alorentz
Forum Member

Previous

Return to SkyBox Inverter