Solution: OpticsRE and ASX_Port/Mate3 reliability - Fixed

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

pjrpd
Forum Member
My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Solution: OpticsRE and ASX_Port/Mate3 reliability - Fixed

Post by pjrpd » Sat May 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I had been trying to connect to Optics RE from my Mate3 for some time. The system would connect through a range extender to my GSM3 wireless hub in the house, it would stay up for an hour or two, and then drop out. Reading different blogs, I blamed the Mate3. I was not too concerned, I bought the Mate three to change the Inverter settings to better suite my NiFe batteries. The Outback system is otherwise very stable. I note, the problem varied from week to week and month to month depending on the weather.
Then I got serious, I bought an AXS Port and tried that instead, it supposedly being more stable. The change didnÔÇÖt make any difference. Finally I found a vague reference on another blog. The AXS Port connects to the wireless extender (NetCom N300) in the Inverter/Charger/Switch steel shed in the back yard. The wireless extender is right next to the inverter, in the steel shed. I found two issues causing the problem.
1> The Outback inverter is one big transformer + controlling circuits. It is well shielded ÔÇô an AM radio right next to the inverter works perfectly (a test for poorly shielded inverters). There is no TV interference (again a problem with some brands). None the less, the wireless extender is small, and the inverter big, and there is a definite issue there. Sure enough, putting a big load on the inverter tended to cause the connection to drop. Simple fix ÔÇô move the wireless extender. I mapped this out by putting the wireless extender on power and ethernet extension leads. The proximity limit for stable reception was two meters or six feet.
2> My whole system is in steel garden sheds away from the house. Steel shed act as interference. Again I was able to map this out with the extension cords.
Solution; I put the GSM3 modem and the wireless extender into the neighbouring steel battery shed. There is some interference however I have rock stable OpticsRE connection. I no longer have household internet from the GSM3 modem due to the same interference. I will either put in an ethernet cable to the house or buy another GSM modem. . One day I may put the Mate3 back on and see if it works as well as the ASX Port.

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Re: Solution: OpticsRE and ASX_Port/Mate3 reliability - Fixe

Post by sodamo » Sat May 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Well, that's cause for thought.

My network extender is maybe 3 ft from my inverters. Guess first thing will be to make up a long ethernet cable and try.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Re: Solution: OpticsRE and ASX_Port/Mate3 reliability - Fixe

Post by sodamo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:38 am

Apparently not the fix for me :cry:

Moved my network extender more than 10 ft from inverters.
But the good news it only reset 6 times last 12 hours.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com