OpticsRE Showing Offline

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

OpticsRE Showing Offline

Postby hildb8 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

My system is showing offline on OpticsRe but everything is working fine. I can't find any issues here. Is anyone else having this problem?
hildb8

My RE system: 48 Volt system (8 x 6v Trojan L16RE-B batteries purchased in 2001)
900watt solar array (6 x 150 watt panels)
MX80
FX2548
Mate3
FlexNet DC
Battery Temperature Sensor
Kohler 7.5 KW Generator

Re: OpticsRE Showing Offline

Postby David LeBow on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

It appears as if your Mate3 has disconnected. Is it possible to power-cycle the Mate3?
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby hildb8 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:18 pm

That worked. Thanks!!!
hildb8

My RE system: 48 Volt system (8 x 6v Trojan L16RE-B batteries purchased in 2001)
900watt solar array (6 x 150 watt panels)
MX80
FX2548
Mate3
FlexNet DC
Battery Temperature Sensor
Kohler 7.5 KW Generator

Postby bear_essentials on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I've experienced the same issue twice now. Once it required the WIFI router to be reset and the second I reset the Mate 3.
bear_essentials

My RE system: Flexpower Radian 8048A, 1000AH battery bank, CSUN 305W x 24, Midnite Solar combiner

Postby bear_essentials on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Is there anyway that you software guys can fix the OpticsRE offline issue automatically?
Seems to me (being an old SW hack for 30 years) that you could determine that comms was lost with the Server and that you had been configured for OpticsRE, so every so often, you could try all the standard tricks to get the system back up and communicating, rather than requiring me to go out into the field and reset the bloody thing!!!
To be fair, my system has an ethernet to WIFI adapter that could be the culprit, but surely, Outback can cycle the port or something to get all the devices playing nice again.
bear_essentials

My RE system: Flexpower Radian 8048A, 1000AH battery bank, CSUN 305W x 24, Midnite Solar combiner

Postby RJRsolar on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am

Same issue here. Quite frequently (almost every morning, lately) I had to recycle the MATE3 to get OpticsRE back on-line. This is needlessly frustrating.

I have another issue with this: As a solar installer, I am not recommending OpticsRE for my customers systems because I don't want the calls. I have one customer with a dual Radian system, at a remote location, which usually has no one present ... See the problem! I have two Radian systems being install this week - I will not recommend OPTICSRe. (Yes, I'm using 015.005)

To misquote a famous person: "Mr. Outback, fix this problem!"

RJR Solar LLC
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 am

bear_essentials wrote:Is there anyway that you software guys can fix the OpticsRE offline issue automatically?
Seems to me (being an old SW hack for 30 years) that you could determine that comms was lost with the Server and that you had been configured for OpticsRE, so every so often, you could try all the standard tricks to get the system back up and communicating, rather than requiring me to go out into the field and reset the bloody thing!!!
To be fair, my system has an ethernet to WIFI adapter that could be the culprit, but surely, Outback can cycle the port or something to get all the devices playing nice again.

A relatively easy answer (though, admittedly, not entirely satisfying) is that it is possible to configure the Mate3 to automatically reboot itself periodically. In OpticsRE, select Device Map, Mate3 and then the Connectivity tab. This is of course, just a workaround to the actual problem. For remote sites which experience a frequently disconnected Mate3, this is probably the best short-term solution.

There's no one who would like to see the current set of issues solved more than I. We currently have five people investigating issues in the Mate3 Ethernet connectivity, especially as it concerns the Optics interface, in order to get this fixed. We have isolated several related issues with corresponding fixes. We're analyzing other areas in order to drive any other remaining bugs out of the bushes. Mr. OutBack is indeed working on it.

Consider the auto-reboot option if you have sites which are frequently disconnecting while we get the problem solved. Until then, please pardon our dust and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

David
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby RJRsolar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I can imagine you guys are as frustrated as "out in the field."
Keep up the effort.
/roger
Ps: I had to reboot the MATE3, again this morning.
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 am

RJRsolar wrote:Ps: I had to reboot the MATE3, again this morning.

Have you tried the auto-reboot functionality?
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby RJRsolar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 am

It was set at 24 hours. I have changed to 12 hours ... would that be your recommendation?

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I suppose that it depends upon two things:
1) How often this is happening;
2) What's your max down-time you can tolerate

D.
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby RJRsolar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 pm

The question then is: What is the disadvantage, of any, of a shorter time - say 4 hours?

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I know of none.

That's not to say I know everything. I would try it at four. If it seem to be working for a couple of weeks, consider bumping it up to see.
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby RJRsolar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby RJRsolar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Wow ... just noticed: OFF LINE!
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby ricardodba on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 am

I too have had the same issues of late. Sometimes it comes back online with no manual intervention. ](*,)

My mate3 is set to auto reboot every 24 hours. I will set to 12 hours and see how it goes.

It would be nice to see this fixed soon, especially with dark winter nights approaching. For example last night. I turned my gen on manually from Optics RE in my house.
Optics RE then went off line, so i had to go out in the dark rainy night,onto my field, into the power shed and turn off the gen from the Mate3.

Most times i have ags set to auto, just that i needed to run the gen manually last night...if it was a remote location, it would have meant a generator running, consuming fuel for longer then needed, until someone could get to site.

Optics RE is a great tool, when it works.
ricardodba

My RE system: vfx3048, fm60, 48v 1000a battery bank, 2.58kw solar array

Postby RJRsolar on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

Yesterday, I set the OpticsRE auto reboot to 4 hours.
This morning I was OFF LINE! I went to the MATE3 and reset by unplugging and re plugging. :sad:
Now I am back ON LINE. :grin:
It appears like the auto reboot does not resolve the problem. :?:

Here is the issue with my frustration: ](*,)
Prior to installing OpticsRE, I could log directly on to the system and get all the information I was looking for. Now, with OpticsRE, I do not seem to be able to directly log on, using the IP address showing in the MATE3. :shock:

QUESTION: Is there a way to disable OpticsRE and go back to a direct connection? I would much prefer this and stop the daily Kabuki Dance. I prefer reliable data to fancy graphics. :idea:

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby ianMc on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 pm

I am convinced that the Mate3 connectivity issues are directly related to line quality. When I switched from ADSL to Fibre the connectivity issues disappeared. :grin:
Maybe the Mate should have some sort of line quality reporting mechanism to assist in isolating the problem
ianMc
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 58 x 170w Solar Panels Aprox 11000 Watts
3x FM80-150VDC
3Phase Power
3x2 GVFX3048E ie 6000Wats Per Phase
24x2volt 1000 AMPH FLA Batteries
1x Mate 3
1x FlexnetDc
OpticsRe

Postby RJRsolar on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am

OFF LINE this morning ... reset

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby RJRsolar on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm

OFF LINE all day. Reset MATE3 ... still OFF LINE

How can I revert to "prior to OpticsRE?" At least the I could directly connect to the MATE3 and get useful info.

/roger
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby ianMc on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:27 pm

The latest mate3 firmware allows a direct connect and works well

Screenshot 2017-09-24 06.26.04.png
ianMc
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 58 x 170w Solar Panels Aprox 11000 Watts
3x FM80-150VDC
3Phase Power
3x2 GVFX3048E ie 6000Wats Per Phase
24x2volt 1000 AMPH FLA Batteries
1x Mate 3
1x FlexnetDc
OpticsRe

Bye bye OpticsRE

Postby RJRsolar on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:39 pm

For now, I'm done with OpticsRE. I have spend more time running out to reboot the Mate3 than I do looking at OpticsRE.

QUESTION: In the Mate3 I have put OpticsRE in "Disabled." I assumed I could then log directly into the system, as I did prior to the OpticsRE adventure. Doesn't seem to work that way.
The Mates shows the IP address as 192.168.1.150, however I am unable to connect. (Yes, I rebooted the Mate3 after making the change.)

What do I need to do to be able to log directly on the system? Help will be greatly appreciated.
RJRsolar
OutBack Whiz

Postby klundquist on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 am

Press the PORT button located to the lower right of the Mate3. What does it say for IP address, netmask, and gateway?

Do you have DHCP disabled or enabled? You can check this at LOCK > 141 Password > Settings > System > Ethernet Addresses

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby Jeremiahlyon on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Have you ever gotten OpticsRE to work? You probably already know this, but: I had trouble at first with my Mate3S, because I was using a green Outback cable that came with the Mate3S for the CAT5/Ethernet connection between the Mate3S and the router. It didn't work. Those green cables are not Ethernet cables. When I switched to a true CAT5 cable, everything worked great.
Jeremiahlyon

My RE system: Vfx3524, two Flexmax 60s, three Flexmax 80s, Mate3s 12kw solar panels. 12 2v AGM 900AH batteries, 24 12V AGM batteries on two auxiliary systems that consist of Flexmax 60s, two stacked TRACE 1500 Watt inverters and one 3600 Watt TRACE inverter with exra true sine wave inverter. The stacked inverters run the well pump for pasture, garden and house. The 3600 Watt inverter powers the shop.

Return to OpticsRE