Optics RE Not Connecting

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Clem Jonze
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 - 300 Watt ReneSola Panels. 48 Volts - Connected 4 strings of 3 @ 120 Volts each string. Midnight Solar Combiner box, 15 amp breakers - 1 each per string. FlexPower 1 3048. (FlexMax 80, Mate 3, HUB 4, Flexnet DC. Firmware version, (as of 05/28/2015 003.009.000. 8 - (wired in series) Deka L16 375 AH Batteries. The whole RE system lives in a "solar shed" located in the back yard, panels facing South - South West. 4 to 5 hours of full sun per day. Sub panel with 50A breaker that runs to House Main Panel. (ground bond removed from Flex Power 1 - Ground Bond @ Home Main Panel) No 240 V requirements - all 110 Volt.

Optics RE Not Connecting

Post by Clem Jonze » Sat May 16, 2015 6:56 pm

My new Flex 1 system / Optics RE will not "connect". Stays on "connecting" forever.

Randomly, it WILL connect and function, but only for a moment.

Ran thru every system check and troubleshooting guide(s) I can find.

Yes on all the obvious stuff: DHCP enabled, re start Mate 3, etc.

The Ethernet port does show activity on the LED's. (connected to Airport express - connected to an Airport Extreme) GOOD internet signal.

Latest firmware, etc.

I am officially out of ideas.

Anyone have a thought? Something I may have missed? Super frustrating, as this is the LAST of the setup items before complete!

Aloha,

Chuck

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Re: Optics RE Not Connecting

Post by sodamo » Sat May 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Can you connect directly to the IP address via your browser?

Don't know if related, but my OpticsRE was unavailable for about 45 minutes today, suddenly off line, suddenly online without me doing anything.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

Clem Jonze
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 - 300 Watt ReneSola Panels. 48 Volts - Connected 4 strings of 3 @ 120 Volts each string. Midnight Solar Combiner box, 15 amp breakers - 1 each per string. FlexPower 1 3048. (FlexMax 80, Mate 3, HUB 4, Flexnet DC. Firmware version, (as of 05/28/2015 003.009.000. 8 - (wired in series) Deka L16 375 AH Batteries. The whole RE system lives in a "solar shed" located in the back yard, panels facing South - South West. 4 to 5 hours of full sun per day. Sub panel with 50A breaker that runs to House Main Panel. (ground bond removed from Flex Power 1 - Ground Bond @ Home Main Panel) No 240 V requirements - all 110 Volt.

Post by Clem Jonze » Sun May 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Hey David!

Thanks for the reply again! You know, some friends of mine are in the process of purchasing a home out your way! (just off the highway/across from the park near the old gas station)

Back to the Optics RE:

Yes and No on the connect to the IP address. It works sometimes, then fails. It will "connect" then fail.

Had everything working last week. Amazing friends by showing them the system via cell phone from Hilo. Then, fail.

In the Mate 3, on the PORT screen, it will connect some days, then not connect. Today, Sunday, NO connect. Stays stuck on the CONNECTING, with no IP or DNS readings on the PORT screen.

The system otherwise is working fine, since I increased my Adsorb time and Voltage UP from factory defaults. This is the last thing to get functional. I am admittedly a wacko on getting all systems go so this is keeping me up at night.

I have an email to Outback - (hard to call them due to the time difference/work schedule) - will post the solution if found.

Aloha,

Chuck

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo » Sun May 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Chuck
That's just down the mountain from us, we are on Piha Kahukun, road just past the park. Youshouldcome by sometime.

Please let s know the solution. I'm thinking HawaiianDrummer still hasn't got his online, likely similar issues. I find it frustrating to check the system and find it offline without explanation. I always think it must be my end. Then I'll check again after a time and it will be up.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

Clem Jonze
Forum Member

Post by Clem Jonze » Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Finally got the optics up and running!

Did three things:

Re installed every firmware update going back 002.017, ending at the latest 003.009. Re started the whole system after every update.
Moved the router further away from the Flex 1.
Un plugged the FNDC during the final PORT - CONNECT process.
Re connected the FNDC after the successful account setup.

Got the clue for moving the router away from the inverter from the local Hilo Gexpro dealer. He said he's seen this issue before. Some kind of wireless interference from the inverter.

Happy days. Now if I can get my SOC to match the SG of the L16's.....

Joy again in the Jungle!

eleindec
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 18 - ISOFOTON ISF-255 w monocrystalline panels
Outback FLEXmax 80 (2)
MATE3
3600 W Outback VFX3648 Inverter (2)
16 NAPA 8144 6v Go cart Deep Cycle batteries wired for 48 Volts
HUB 10
FLEXware PV 8 Combiner
FLEXware Mounting Plate

Post by eleindec » Fri May 29, 2015 11:20 am

I too have the same problem. OPTICSre does not recognize my MAC address. In the Mate3, always "connecting."

Updated the MATE3 Firmware to 003.009.....

Talked with Outback Support several times.

Last time they suggested I go to "PINGTEST.net". The test results in a Class B+ connection but the packet test fails.

I do see my Mate3 using its IP address. It looks normal except the time setting is 6 hours off.

I've had the phone company out to check my internet and they say it is normal.

Outback suggested my router signal wasn't strong enough. So I purchased an N300 Signal Extender which resulted in no change.

I'm pulling my hair out with this one!

Clem Jonze
Forum Member

Post by Clem Jonze » Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Went thru the same hair pulling process.

In the end, what I did to get optics working. (it is worth the trouble! Very cool)

Insure your router is connected to the Internet first. Double check by connecting another device to the router to check function before you connect to the Mate3.
I dumped all my Mishmash of routers and extenders and purchased an AirPort Extreme for my main wireless router in the house and an airport express for my solar shed extended wireless device. Easy to setup. It simply works. Happy with the wireless signal.

Do not use the Ethernet cable from Outback! Buy a new cable, short as possible. My original outback cable was the source of my problems.

Insure you have the latest firmware.

Re start the Mate3. Simply unplug it from the Hub, count to 10 and plug it back in to do a hard reset.

I am sure you have done all the other stuff: DHCP enabled, etc.

You will get this working!

Aloha
Chuck

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm in my 1st week with the Mate3 and OpticsRE and the on/off line thing is confusing. Connecting from the computer to the Mate's IP always works, whether the Mate3 is Connected or Connecting but it seems crazy to have to pull the cables and power up again to restore the connection to OpticsRE.

Here's what I have found:
1) If there is a power loss for whatever reason, when restored, the Mate3 wants to connect. If service is not available (because it takes a bit for the modem to reestablish?), the Mate3 can't find the internet and gives up trying.

2) Removing the cable to the router to simulate a service loss and plugging it back in restores the connection. Likewise, the Mate3 will reconnect if I power cycle the modem.

3) Powering down the modem and hard booting the Mate3, then powering up the modem results in the observation in 1). Then hard booting the Mate3 restores the connection.

So, in my case, the only time there is a problem connecting is if there is a complete system shut down or if the Mate3 wakes up and there is no internet connection.

Hopefully a future firmware update can resolve this scenario.

Best,
JRH

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I get to travel next week. The first thing on the daily chore list while I'm gone is an instruction to pull the hub cable from the Mate 3 to reboot it so it will reconnect. This is really a non-problem and getting increasingly irritating. The last update that forced a daily reboot really didn't solve the problem. I'm now starting to gather data of the moon phase and I think I've found a cause.

Seriously, my connection is satellite (DishNet) which can come and go. If the connection can't be made to "self heal," like EVERYTHING else does, I'm screwed. Maybe I need a local server that can collect the data and push it without hard resets?

Sigh,
Jim

larrywa
Forum Guru
My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Post by larrywa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:34 am

JRHill wrote:I'm in my 1st week with the Mate3 and OpticsRE and the on/off line thing is confusing. Connecting from the computer to the Mate's IP always works, whether the Mate3 is Connected or Connecting but it seems crazy to have to pull the cables and power up again to restore the connection to OpticsRE.

Here's what I have found:
1) If there is a power loss for whatever reason, when restored, the Mate3 wants to connect. If service is not available (because it takes a bit for the modem to reestablish?), the Mate3 can't find the internet and gives up trying.

2) Removing the cable to the router to simulate a service loss and plugging it back in restores the connection. Likewise, the Mate3 will reconnect if I power cycle the modem.

3) Powering down the modem and hard booting the Mate3, then powering up the modem results in the observation in 1). Then hard booting the Mate3 restores the connection.

So, in my case, the only time there is a problem connecting is if there is a complete system shut down or if the Mate3 wakes up and there is no internet connection.

Hopefully a future firmware update can resolve this scenario.

Best,
JRH
Thanks you for that report. I have suspected this by experience many times but I have never set out to prove it. OB needs to be lobbied to improve their Ethernet healing algorithms to not give up permanently.

I thought things were improving at a decent rate until the last change to the OpticsRE website and found my system not only offline but showing 3800 watts after sundown. After rebooting the Mate3 from the website I went to the site and investigated I found one of my FM80s hung up with the 37xx watts on the screen. hung! After a few attempts to cause a re-evaluation of it's analogues I had to remove all power and reboot it. Well something I would have never guessed....all my FM80 settings were lost in both units. I caught these the next day when grid-tie didn't happen at the right spot. Restoring the profile from the SD card set things straight.

This has been several times that I feel OB or the OpticsRE system has changed settings and/or just plain screwed up my system without my knowledge or consent. I may have to follow through on my initial gut feeling with this and purchase WattPlot to get off this dangerous merry-go-round. Each time my system has had some setting changed or completely hung, needing power cycling, there have been updates to OpticRE website. Coincidental? Perhaps once or twice but this is getting stupid having to monitor the system every day for a year. Now I have monitoring on my home automations system that can email me of some problems. When does it stop babysitting the $16k system with a $400 system?

Years ago OB was rated top of the line by AltEnergy forums people but with my experience of the hardware falling apart, stripped connectors, and now the software to run it being dangerous I am slowly coming to the conclusion OB has become junk and not putting in the time to keep a good name.

Doing it again, and knowing what I know now, I would choose one of the many other up and coming equipment manufacturers using up to date unit co-ordination techniques. Even my old 1980s could sell on the grid wile the absorb cycle was running and cost me about 4% (yes, four percent) of what the OB equipment cost. I had one occasion sunrise didn't trigger selling and the manufacturer sent me a replacement eprom that fixed that.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:18 am

Larry,

I really like WattPlot and Andrew is a very accommodating person and great to work with. I had used WattPlot for years as my old ThinkPad T61 with a docking station had the necessary serial port for the Mate. I really didn't like having another machine running but there was no way around it. The ThinkPad died. I got another and that ran for most of a year and that died as well. So this year I had to change out batteries and I used that expense to justify a Mate3 and FNDC for (I still hope) better management/automation and OpticsRE.

A cloud based solution is highly desired. Using Wattplot requires a computer running, connected and the optional USB card for the Mate3. So now I have what I have and more lessons learned. The only other thing I can try is the USB option for the Mate3 and run WattPlot from a Windows tablet. Dust is my big enemy as any computer/laptop with a cooling fan needs serious attention due to clogging and over heating. Besides, the tablet is a very low power user. However, I'm also gritting my teeth about another expenditure for hardware, the time to set it up, and the fact that is yet another experiment with no guaranteed outcome and problem solution.

If this connection issue could be resolved I would be mostly happy and patient. I'm also hoping for some enhancements to OpticsRE like the maintenance logs that WattPlot had vs. the text notes in OpticsRE. OpticsRE is certainly in early beta, as far as I'm concerned.

Best,
Jim

kees.barendse
Forum Member

Post by kees.barendse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:02 am

I am in charge of maintaining and monitoring a set of three Radians connected to a hub10.3 and controlled by a MATE3 with the latest 003-011-000 firmware. It randomly drops off the LAN and will respond to grid outages with an "OFF" command to the inverters, which means a complete blackout on the load side. With three offices populated by around 50 people depending on these inverters I am regularly chased around the property when all computers and servers have gone offline because of this, again, and again, and again.

I am contemplating ditching the MATE3 and seeing whether I can control and monitor the system through an AXS port, but the info on that product online is too sketchy to make a good decision on whether that will work for us.

I must admit that I run a 100 foot LAN cable from the MATE3 to the switch in our server room, so maybe that has something to do with it?

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:30 am

From my Sept 3 post, I had a chance to re-confirm the reconnect (or lack thereof) of the Mate3. I still haven't done additional fine tuning of the low voltage error/output programming but this AM I triggered a low voltage shut down. Firing the gen set, everything woke up but because the internet had to re establish its connection, the Mate3 stayed off line until I did a hard reset. Maybe it would've come back at midnight next, maybe not. And maybe it would keep the connection, or not. Definitely not production ready performance.