Grid voltage display?

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Grid voltage display?

Postby koalamotorsport on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 pm

This is probably more a feature request than a question, unless I'm missing it somewhere.

I would find it very helpful to have the grid voltage displayed on the OpticsRE main screen. It shows battery voltage beside the battery pictogram. Any way to have it display grid voltage by the power pole pictogram?

I have grid variations between 210V and 280V. The high voltages are caused by my Radians fighting my Fronius GT inverter. The low voltage happens after the sun goes down, as my house draws far more power than the transformer on the pole likes, causing a voltage drop that trips the Radians to drop the grid. My Radians are 200ft from the house. The Mate3 is with them. I have a tablet on the wall that is constantly displaying the OpticsRE dashboard. It would be convenient to see grid voltage at a glance, rather than having to go into the Device Map and call it up from one of the inverters.

As an aside, is there any way to get real time info on OpticsRE. The refresh rate is very frustrating when you're trying to work with the system. I had wired the property for a second Mate 3, only to find that Outback dropped the ball on that functionality, despite the "2nd Mate" port on the Hub10....

Thanks!
Brett
Thanks!
Brett

2 x GS8048
6 x MX60
32 x 280w Chaori modules
2 x Fronius IG Plus Advanced 6.0
36 x 285w GLC modules
Puny 430ah FLA battery bank
10Kw propane generator with 3500 gallons of fuel onsite
Wired to allow expansion up to 400amps
koalamotorsport
Forum Virtuoso

Re: Grid voltage display?

Postby David LeBow on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi Brett,

I've added your grid-voltage suggestion to our internal ticketing system so that it can be considered for possible inclusion in an upcoming release.

As an aside, is there any way to get real time info on OpticsRE. The refresh rate is very frustrating when you're trying to work with the system.

Well... "real-time" is a different beast altogether. We have a data snapshot interval of 15s, so below that's not feasible in any event.

If you could better characterize your frustration or what you're trying to do, maybe we could come up with something.
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby koalamotorsport on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

David LeBow wrote:Hi Brett,

I've added your grid-voltage suggestion to our internal ticketing system so that it can be considered for possible inclusion in an upcoming release.

That is awesome. Thanks for looking into it, it would be a valuable bit of information, for me at least, :grin:
David LeBow wrote:
As an aside, is there any way to get real time info on OpticsRE. The refresh rate is very frustrating when you're trying to work with the system.

Well... "real-time" is a different beast altogether. We have a data snapshot interval of 15s, so below that's not feasible in any event.

If you could better characterize your frustration or what you're trying to do, maybe we could come up with something.

Is it really only 15 seconds? I honestly felt it was 60 seconds while watching, but never actually timed it. The mate itself seems to be instant, is that correct?
My home is a smart home and I'm always doing a lot of testing of consumers that gets frustrating when waiting for refreshed information, that's all. In a large house, there's a lot of variables and instant information would help reduce the influence of those variables. I actually wired for a second Mate3 with this need in mind, but when I purchased the second Mate3 was when I found out the port on the Hub10, labeled 2nd Mate, was not functional.

Is there a specific reason for using snapshots vs live data? My Fronius grid tied system seems to be live, although I've never tested that theory, so maybe it just has a shorter refresh rate. If it's a bandwidth based decision, I wonder if an app could be written for intra-net use with live display.

Thanks for your time David.
Thanks!
Brett

2 x GS8048
6 x MX60
32 x 280w Chaori modules
36 x 285w GLC modules
koalamotorsport
Forum Virtuoso

Postby David LeBow on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Picture tens of thousands of systems sending thousands of data points multiple times a second to a cloud-based database. All of the data collected is available historically. The data from the devices goes into a database and that would quickly grow out of control.

The Mate3 is "instant" (enough), but it doesn't retain all of that data at that same resolution.

Add to that that a lot of the monitored systems are remote, off-grid and some have less cost-effective data pipes to the cloud and no real "intranet" type of connection available. All of that combines to describe how OpticsRE was originally architected.
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby koalamotorsport on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:30 pm

David LeBow wrote:Picture tens of thousands of systems sending thousands of data points multiple times a second to a cloud-based database. All of the data collected is available historically. The data from the devices goes into a database and that would quickly grow out of control.

Well, when you put it like that...... :lol:
Thanks!
Brett

2 x GS8048
6 x MX60
32 x 280w Chaori modules
36 x 285w GLC modules
koalamotorsport