Login to Optics every visit?

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

provo
Forum Guru
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Login to Optics every visit?

Post by provo » Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am

A few days ago I upgraded my MacOS from Sierra to Mojave, and many of my secure apps required me to login every visit, maybe the first 10 times. Most of them "recognize" me now, but Optics is a holdout. I probably click the bookmark for my dashboard 15 times a day (I know, I'm kinda OCD), but after 30 logins, shouldn't it stop doing that?

Before the upgrade, clicking on the dashboard bookmark put me straight in, with no login required, every time.

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Login to Optics every visit?

Post by raysun » Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 am

I had to log into Optics for every visit for years, until about two weeks ago. Guess I stole your VIP pass.

😉

provo
Forum Guru
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am

Well, I guess that's comforting, in a twisted way!

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am

provo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
Well, I guess that's comforting, in a twisted way!
I have no idea what changed.

provo
Forum Guru
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Sun May 24, 2020 6:36 am

The problem was solved when I changed browsers (Safari instead of Chrome). Your results may vary!

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Mon May 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Yup, I experienced that as well. I use Chrome. In addition, the Chrome browser forgets my login pretty quickly. 15 minutes or so?. But some time later requires a new login and the subscribed email link doesn't take me to that thread after login. Leaving that tab open while logged in and going back and clicking on the link in the email takes me there consistently. It's different behavior from most sites.

No complaints. Its just an additional few steps.

Bryce Millet
Software Engineering

Post by Bryce Millet » Tue May 26, 2020 8:35 am

provo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am
A few days ago I upgraded my MacOS from Sierra to Mojave, and many of my secure apps required me to login every visit, maybe the first 10 times. Most of them "recognize" me now, but Optics is a holdout. I probably click the bookmark for my dashboard 15 times a day (I know, I'm kinda OCD), but after 30 logins, shouldn't it stop doing that?

Before the upgrade, clicking on the dashboard bookmark put me straight in, with no login required, every time.
We actually recommend that you don't bookmark the dashboard after being signed in. Skipping the login page might work depending on the browser, but this can cause a number of issues as all of the script versions your browser needs to grab are defined on the login page itself. If you skip the login page there is a high probability that you will be running out of date code and some functionality may break.

We usually recommend that you just allow your browser or password manager to auto fill your login information when you visit https://www.opticsre.com/Home/#/sign-in, and you can get in with a single click. If you are using Google or FaceBook login it should remember you and also just take a single click to authenticate the session.
Bryce Millet
Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. | OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com | http://outbackpower.com/

provo
Forum Guru
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

Bryce Millet wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:35 am

If you skip the login page there is a high probability that you will be running out of date code and some functionality may break.

We usually recommend that you just allow your browser or password manager to auto fill your login information when you visit https://www.opticsre.com/Home/#/sign-in, and you can get in with a single click. If you are using Google or FaceBook login it should remember you and also just take a single click to authenticate the session.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out....Even when I use my dashboard bookmark from a browser that actually works, I still end up having to go to the homepage and login every couple weeks just to clear some snag, so I probably wouldn't get too far behind.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am

Bryce Millet wrote:
We actually recommend that you don't bookmark the dashboard after being signed in.
But after the OB Forum update which fixed the search (TY!) and upgraded other things, my password manager stopped auto-filling the user/PW fields. It's now a few clicks to the PW manager app to manually fill and then it finishes the login automagically. But, Bryce, I'm not complaining - just info. The never ending version changes for every browser and device plus 3rd party apps has to be past tolerance.

Best, Jim

Bryce Millet
Software Engineering

Post by Bryce Millet » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am

JRHill wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am
Bryce Millet wrote:
We actually recommend that you don't bookmark the dashboard after being signed in.
But after the OB Forum update which fixed the search (TY!) and upgraded other things, my password manager stopped auto-filling the user/PW fields. It's now a few clicks to the PW manager app to manually fill and then it finishes the login automagically. But, Bryce, I'm not complaining - just info. The never ending version changes for every browser and device plus 3rd party apps has to be past tolerance.

Best, Jim
I have seen this behavior affecting my password manager (both browser based and local program for storing and encrypting) on a number of other web services and fixing it usually requires me to go in and verify the URL for the sign-in is pointing to a specific address. Odd that it is happening for Optics as we haven't changed our sign-in URL for years.

There should be a way to reset it. The password manager may specifically need to be pointed to https://www.opticsre.com/Home/#/sign-in or https://www.opticsre.com/Home instead of www.opticsre.com or other slightly different URL. If using browser based password management, you may also need to take the site URL off an ignore list as it is quite easy to accidentally mark a login as "Ignored" or "Never for this site". Sometimes I've also just needed to delete credentials for a site and then enter them again before the auto fill works correctly.-
Bryce Millet
Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. | OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com | http://outbackpower.com/

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Thu May 28, 2020 9:26 am

Nothing of the suggestions makes a difference, Bryce, some might make an issue of it.

I appreciate y'all on the OB Team. OpticsRE is really cool.